Our screenshots will go in the same order as before so hopefully we can keep confusion to a minimum.
We see the same trend using Sandra as we did with the HD Tach utility. Though the results are close between the Vantec and Thermaltake units, the slight edge in testing goes to the Vantec enclosure. But enough of synthetic tests, lets see what happens when we start moving large chunks of data around, You know... large data files like your favorite collection of movies?
Timed Data Transfer
For our final test I wanted to see just how fast we could transfer a large file across the platforms. To accomplish this I took the FarCry demo file and began copying it from drive to drive and measured times in seconds. The file weighs in at 496MB so should give us a fair assessment of the ability to move data from one place to another. Times were taken from the system to the Seagate drive and from the Seagate drive back to the system.
Here was a bit of a surprise, the NexStar lost some ground to the Thermaltake unit in the USB test mode. Hook up the Vantec unit to a Firewire port, though, and we have actual data transfer rates that edge out even the slaved drive! Not too bad at all if you happen to have a system utilizing Firewire. All in all, you should have little trouble with data storage or even video playback using either method of the NexStar.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- Next iPhone might not be that spectacular after all...
- Samsung confirms Black Pearl; comes with more storage
- Pewdiepie to delete his channel later today
- NASA joins Giphy with almost 500 awesome GIFs
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD