WD Red Pro Internals
The WD Red Pro comes in the typical 3.5" form factor. The previous generation Red also came in a 2.5" variety, but the Pro version does not. The breather port on the bottom of the drive indicates that this is a standard air filled HDD. The WD Red Pro uses five platters with PMR technology.
A large foam covering helps to mitigate vibrational forces between the PCB and the case. Two thermal pads facilitate cooling of the drive motor controller (middle right), and the Marvell controller that manages the drive. Two accelerometers occupy opposing corners of the PCB. These detect rotational and linear vibration so the drive can react and correct head positioning.
The Marvell 88i9346-TFJ2 controls the WD Red Pro and the Samsung 64 MB multi-segmented cache sets above the controller.
The WD Red Pro features a standard 6Gb/s SATA connection.
WD Red Pro Specifications
The WD Red Pro features Streaming Support, SMART Command Transport (SCT) for monitoring, and power management support. All data is flushed to the platters in the event of power loss. The Red Pro is available in 2TB-4TB capacities, with the WD2001SFFX, WD3001FFSX, and WD4001FFSX part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [WD Red Pro Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda sale: $13 Doom, cheap ESO and more
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds continues titanic growth
- Next-gen Hololens to have custom AI chip
- The OnePlus 5 8GB now available for immediate dispatch
- Microsoft Paint killed off with new Creators Update
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- graphics card not detected via riser cable
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4