Desktop Test System
Lenovo T440 - Notebook Power Testing with DEVSLP and Windows 8.1 Pro
Nearly all of the performance tests are run on the desktop system, but we use a Lenovo T440 to run the power tests. The T440 is the latest addition to our client SSD test lab, and allows us to test the notebook battery life offered by a SSD with advanced features like DEVSLP enabled.
ATTO - Baseline Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.34
Samsung quotes 550 MB/s sequential read, and 512 MB/s sequential write speeds for the 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB 850 Pro models. Our 256GB sample achieved just over 563 MB/s while reading sequential data, and nearly 535 MB/s sequential writes.
HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.55
Nearly all consumer SSDs are able to read back sequential data at high speed. As you can see in the chart above, everything hits a wall right around the same area. OCZ SSDs limit the QD1 read performance, so you have performance in reserve for multitasking, an artificial limit, and without it the OCZ drives would be right with the others in this 64KB test.
Data writes are where we see SSDs separate themselves from one another. As you can see on this chart, very few drives are able to deliver consistent full-speed data writes in this test. The Samsung 850 Pro is one of the rare SSDs in this capacity size that delivers the performance you expect.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 18.104.22.168
After a reasonable number of sequential and random writes, we tested the 850 Pro 256GB in HD Tach with 128KB blocks. The 850 Pro 256GB shows some variation in the sequential writes, but the drops are much less than what we see on other SSDs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 6 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi sells a million phones in India in 18 days
- Razer Blade Pro laptop rocks GTX 1080, 4K G-Sync display
- Nintendo Switch may sport dedicated game video recording
- Get this Samsung wireless charging pad for over 70% off
- Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer shows amazing graphics
- EVGA DG-87 Full-Tower Gaming Chassis Review
- New PC - no display on a screen, 3 beeps
- windows usb install file
- GIGABYTE P55W v6 Gaming Notebook Review
- How do i contact the moderators?
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system
- PowerColor starts selling the DEVIL Box external graphics solution
- ESL to power PlayStation 4 competitive gaming
- Samsung rolls out industry's first 8GB LPDDR4 DRAM package