4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing
4K monitors are the next step for gamers demanding the best in image quality. With 4x the pixels of a standard 1920 x 1080 monitor (meaning 4x the intensity), 3840 x 2160 brings a new level of intensity to video cards.
To make sure that you're buying the right video card for a monitor that offers such a large resolution, we test the latest and greatest video cards in a couple of benchmarks to give you an idea of just what kind of setup you require.
When comes to testing at 4K, you can see the reference GTX 980 4GB fell short of the overclocked R9 290X 4GB. Fortunately, the overclock that ZOTAC offered out of the box was enough for it to sneak ahead. Throw overclocking into the mix, though, and you can see the gain becomes even greater, with an increase that sits at around 20% when compared to the overclocked R9 290X 4GB.
On the other hand, Sleeping Dogs saw the stock NVIDIA offering come out ahead of the overclocked R9 290X 4GB. The ZOTAC then kicked it up a notch, pushing us to a solid 80 FPS at this resolution, while the overclocked MSI GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr V Gaming put the nail in the coffin with a massive 93 FPS average.
When it came to Hitman: Absolution, we saw the reference GTX 980 4GB and ZOTAC GTX 980 struggle to keep up with the overclocked R9 290X 4GB. All setups performed a little too low for us, though.
Move to our overclocked MSI GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr V Gaming, though, and you can see while we're just short of that 60 FPS average we want at the highest resolution, the fact that we've got a 51 FPS minimum accompanying that 58 FPS average means that we'd consider these results extremely playable.
While manually overclocking, the GTX 980 helps close the gap between it and the overclocked R9 290X 4GB to the point that NVIDIA manage to take out the win here. Looking at the minimum and average, you can see that the numbers are just way too low overall. While the 31 FPS minimum is nice, the 38 FPS average that goes with it just isn't where it needs to be.
GRID Autosport numbers are just awesome here. At the massive 4K resolution, you can see the overclock we managed achieved a fantastic 53 FPS minimum from this single GPU solution.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro: Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman: Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tekken 7 launches June 2, 2017, has season pass
- Samsung confirms they won't unveil the S8 at MWC 2017
- White Xiaomi Mi MIX will be available very soon
- Samsung confirms faulty batteries caused Note7 fiasco
- Hugo Barra is leaving Xiaomi next month
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni