Test System Setup
To see our testing methodology, and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article.
At the stock level of testing, we are quite surprised to see that the Brocken 2 is beat out by the Brocken ECO that has much less cost associated with it. While the 54.5 degree average result we found in our testing is still very respectable, we are still at a loss as to how to spin this in a pleasant manner.
When the OC is applied, the story changes slightly as we now find the Brocken 2 just ever so slightly outperforming the ECO. The 74.5 degree average here keeps well away from the throttling zone, and is within a degree or two of other nice single tower coolers that allow access to everything on the motherboard.
Noise Level Results
Here is where this cooler does stand out as a top performer though, and that is in the lack of noise dumped into the room while cooling the processor. With only 7.5 volts running through the fan, we saw speeds of 750RPM, and at a foot away, noise is almost non-existent as the 25dB result shows.
Even when we set the Wing Boost 2 140mm fans free with 12 volts of power to them, the sound levels stay consistently low. While the Brocken 2 noise levels are certainly not the best on the chart, getting into the top ten is good work in itself. With only 40 dB heard at full speed, AIDA64 reported 1200 RPM, rather than the 1100 that is specified. At this level, you can rest assured that the GPU fan will likely be much louder at load than this cooler is.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Alpenfoehn Brocken 2 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI Afterburner now has hardware plot graphics
- Google Glass updated with additional features
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds pulls in $100 million
- SpaceX successfully launches and lands a used rocket
- LG V30 rumored to support wireless charging
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ecurrency hack software
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller