We didn't spend a lot of time talking about the 3D V-NAND in this article or RAPID Mode. We just published a very detailed V-NAND whitepaper and RAPID Mode was discussed in detail in our initial reviews.
The 850 Pro is a complicated product made easy by its performance. When a drive is as fast as the Samsung 850 Pro, we don't have to go into a lot of detail about the technology. The 850 Pro 512GB is one of the fastest SSDs in this capacity size, it offers the best warranty and flash endurance.
The 3D V-NAND technology is cool, but do we really care about the compound structure of the tires of a new Ferrari? Not really, we just know it's fast and fun, and that's what really counts. The 850 Pro check all of the boxes for security, AES 256-bit for TCG Opal 2.0 and eDrive, it has RAPID Mode for DRAM caching of the data, and offers a guaranteed 150TB of write endurance. The facts just all line up, and the end product is impressive.
I think of all the capacity sizes Samsung offers the 850 Pro in, the 512GB size is the sweet spot for performance, capacity and cost. At $399.99 at the time of writing, the 512GB model costs a bit more than the value centric SSDs on the market in the same size, but delivers enough value to warrant paying the higher price.
For most enthusiasts, this will be the last SATA based SSD you buy for your main system. The 850 Pro will outlast your other components, and then when it's time to upgrade, we'll be several generations deep in M.2 PCIe based technology.
If you are shopping for the best and don't mind spending a bit more to do something that doesn't need replacing for a few years, then the 850 Pro 512GB from Samsung is for you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Samsung Software Package]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 9 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA solved the secret of ESA's missing Mars lander
- He changed his name to Seven iPhone for a free iPhone 7
- New photos and a shocking price of Huawei Mate 9 emerged
- Elon Musk describes his vision for colonization of Mars
- Nintendo Switch is single-screen only, says Nintendo
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now