Test System Setup and Overclocking
Being the first Intel X99 motherboard we've looked at, our graphs today are heavily filled with Z97 based motherboards. Sitting alongside the ASRock X99X Killer that will be running at both stock and overclocked with our new i7 5960X EE, we've got the ASRock Z97X Killer, GIGABTYE Z97X GAMING G1WFI-BK Black Edition, ASUS ROG MAXIMUX VII FORMULA and GIGABYTE Z97N-GAMING 5 to round out motherboards that use the Intel i7 4790K. Along with those, we round out our motherboard line up with the ASRock Z87 Killer, which uses the older i7 4770K.
Before we get into the performance of the new i7 5960X EE, though, we need to cover the overclocking side of things to see just how much performance we can get out of this new processor. Any time it comes to overclocking a new processor, it can be a little difficult to know where to go. Everything then becomes even more confusing when you throw a new chipset into the mix, and a new type of memory (DDR4).
Fortunately the ASRock board has its own nice little section for pre-configured overclocks. We covered this on the previous page where in the second image you can see the "Load Optimized CPU OC Setting". Going into the menu, you're greeted with overclocks that range from 4GHz to 4.5GHz with the latter being highlighted in red.
Heading into the BIOS, we started at 4GHz and found everything working fine. We moved to 4.2GHz, and had no issues either. We jumped again to 4.4GHz and with much surprise, there were still no issues to talk about. We tried the last one 4.5GHz, which is highlighted red, and ran into a BSOD, as soon as we started benchmarking.
Looking above, you can see we ended up with a final clock speed of 4397MHz or 4.4GHz, as shown in our graphs today. This is an awesome overclock that was done with complete ease. It's a little tough to tell if this is a good CPU or not, as we have nothing to compare it against, but we are fairly impressed. This is a fantastic start, though, and a real testament to the ASRock board when it comes to making overclocking so easy. I'm really looking forward to seeing more boards from ASRock and seeing just what we can get out of this CPU as we get more and more used to dealing with it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand