Test System Setup and Overclocking
Being the first Intel X99 motherboard we've looked at, our graphs today are heavily filled with Z97 based motherboards. Sitting alongside the ASRock X99X Killer that will be running at both stock and overclocked with our new i7 5960X EE, we've got the ASRock Z97X Killer, GIGABTYE Z97X GAMING G1WFI-BK Black Edition, ASUS ROG MAXIMUX VII FORMULA and GIGABYTE Z97N-GAMING 5 to round out motherboards that use the Intel i7 4790K. Along with those, we round out our motherboard line up with the ASRock Z87 Killer, which uses the older i7 4770K.
Before we get into the performance of the new i7 5960X EE, though, we need to cover the overclocking side of things to see just how much performance we can get out of this new processor. Any time it comes to overclocking a new processor, it can be a little difficult to know where to go. Everything then becomes even more confusing when you throw a new chipset into the mix, and a new type of memory (DDR4).
Fortunately the ASRock board has its own nice little section for pre-configured overclocks. We covered this on the previous page where in the second image you can see the "Load Optimized CPU OC Setting". Going into the menu, you're greeted with overclocks that range from 4GHz to 4.5GHz with the latter being highlighted in red.
Heading into the BIOS, we started at 4GHz and found everything working fine. We moved to 4.2GHz, and had no issues either. We jumped again to 4.4GHz and with much surprise, there were still no issues to talk about. We tried the last one 4.5GHz, which is highlighted red, and ran into a BSOD, as soon as we started benchmarking.
Looking above, you can see we ended up with a final clock speed of 4397MHz or 4.4GHz, as shown in our graphs today. This is an awesome overclock that was done with complete ease. It's a little tough to tell if this is a good CPU or not, as we have nothing to compare it against, but we are fairly impressed. This is a fantastic start, though, and a real testament to the ASRock board when it comes to making overclocking so easy. I'm really looking forward to seeing more boards from ASRock and seeing just what we can get out of this CPU as we get more and more used to dealing with it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives