Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
The HIS Radeon R9 280 IceQ X2 OC 3GB isn't a bad card at all. The IceQ X2 cooler is a winner as usual, and while the giant gold shroud isn't to everyone's liking, I must admit I'm quite a fan of it. Although, it's below the shroud where all the magic happens, and it is magic that happens indeed.
The cooling numbers the card puts out are fantastic; especially when you consider the extra voltage that is being run through the card with the higher core clock. The icing on the cake is really the noise readings of the cooler, which are also extremely impressive considering the same circumstances.
Out of the box, the performance isn't going to be too bad. It won't be as strong as the GIGABYTE version, which sees a higher out of the box core clock, but it will come out ahead of the Sapphire, which sees a slightly lower core clock. There's no denying that if you really want to make the model shine, you're going to want to fire up something like MSI Afterburner.
While we didn't have any luck when it came to memory overclocking, you can see that core overclocking was very successful. It's also worth mentioning, that while not always stable, we did manage to benchmark the HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC 3GB at 1200MHz core under some benchmarks. If you wanted to mess around with some extra cooling fans around the cards and increase the fan speed for some benchmarking, you would undoubtedly be able to achieve a higher overclock.
While the bundle was small, it was also typical. With that said, when a company provides Mini DP, we would like them to include a Mini DP to DisplayPort connector in the bundle. We would've preferred to see this connector included instead of the DVI to VGA connector, which we're sure doesn't get much use today.
All in all, though, the HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC 3GB is a great video card that should be priced around $200 like other versions. To get the most out of the card, we'd really recommend you get into overclocking; overclocking brings some real value out of the model. This is something that we didn't think would ever happen after the way AMD originally priced the model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro: Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman: Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's high-end X390/X399 mobo: dual Ryzen CPUs possible
- Dell unleashes its new 8K monitor, costs $5000
- New Call of Duty set in WWII?
- Gionee launches A1 in India
- Samsung to disable charging on remaining Galaxy Note7s
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse