We've got another BenQ monitor passing through the lab today. This time, the monitor we have in for testing is a 21.5-inch gaming monitor aimed at those who like playing real-time strategy (RTS) games such as League of Legends or StarCraft.
In fact, the front of the box shows the Gambit team, a team of professional League of Legends players, further adding credibility to this monitor's capabilities as an RTS gaming monitor.
We're going to put it through our again updated monitor regimen. We've added more aspects to our monitor reviews, as you'll soon see when clicking through the review, so sit down, have a drink, and let's get on with it.
Specifications, General Features & Pricing
Instead of covering all of the specifications, we're going to direct you at the chart below, taken from BenQ's product page. After the image, we're going to highlight some of the more important specs before moving on to the features, pricing, and gaming specific features.
In the chart above, you can see we're dealing with a 21.5-inch panel that pumps out a resolution of 1920x1080. It has a spec'd brightness of 250cd/m^2 and a dynamic contrast ratio of 12,000,000:1.
The panel is of the TN variety, meaning color reproduction and viewing angles will be affected, but it reduces the cost of the monitor. BenQ rates the viewing angles at 170/160 horizontal/vertical. It features VGA, DVI, HDMI, and a headphone jack for connectivity.
BenQ says the monitor draws 21 watts, a spec we will put to the test later on in the review.
This is really a no-frills monitor, providing only what you need to get a great RTS gaming product. Of course, it has rapid 1ms GTG response time. It also features the ability to adjust the monitor screen size to your liking.
Gaming Specific Features
As with most, if not all, BenQ monitors, we have ZeroFlicker technology, that is designed to eliminate flickering at all brightness levels. ZeroFlicker should allow for extended gaming with reduced eye fatigue.
Next we have an important feature for the RTS game category: Black eQualizer. This is a feature that BenQ has added to brighten up dark scenes without over-exposing the white levels. The idea is that hidden details in dark parts of the scene will be brighter and easier to spot, track, and attack.
Of course, BenQ has packed in exclusive RTS modes that are tuned to bring out the details in various RTS games. Picture modes are how you access these preset settings. RTS 1 mode is for StarCraft II, and RTS 2 is for Dota II.
PRICING: You can find the BenQ RL2240HE Gaming Monitor for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The BenQ RL2240HE Gaming Monitor retails for $159.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Features & Pricing]
- Page 2 [Unboxing, Dead Pixels, Assembly and Port Layout]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, OSD & Test Results]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives