Close up with the GIGABYTE R9 280 WINDFORCE 3GB OC
Taking a look at the card, you can see the massive WINDFORCE cooler pretty much takes the entire PCB, with just a little above the PCIe slot being seen. The massive triple fan setup looks great, and behind you can see the massive heat sink. Looking closer, you can see a number of copper heat pipes going throughout the card. The cooler looks like serious business and hopefully can do a good job today. We'll find out just how good it is a little later on.
Moving around the card, you can see at the back that we have a dual power connector setup, which sees a single 6-Pin PCIe and a single 8-Pin PCIe power connector. Staying across the top but moving closer to the front, you can see we have our two CrossFire connectors. While we won't be making use of them today, we will be testing out CrossFire on the R9 280 3GB in the coming weeks.
Heading over to the I/O side of things, you can see across the top that we have a large vent setup that will let the air escape out the back of the case. As for the connectivity side of things, you can see we have a single Dual-Link DVI-I connector along with an HDMI port and two MiniDP connectors. I'm a big fan of this kind of setup as it is heavy on the DisplayPort side.
What really stands out is the fact that GIGABYTE has chosen to include a MiniDP to DisplayPort connector in the bundle. It means that if you're on a DisplayPort monitor with a normal DP cable, you'll be able to use the DP connection straight away.
Looking below, you can see the clock speeds on the GIGABYTE R9 280 WINDFORCE 3GB OC. We must say that they're quite healthy with a core clock of 1072 MHz. As for the 3GB of GDDR5 that is present on the card, that comes clocked in at a nice round 5000MHz QDR.
This is a really nice overclock that is much stronger then the Sapphire we looked at, which saw a core clock of just 940MHz. Both companies, with little surprise, left the memory at stock with the 5000MHz QDR number. With this clock, we're hoping performance looks a lot stronger than it did the last time we looked at the R9 280.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840x2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Monster Hunter XX coming to Nintendo Switch
- Destiny 2 uses hybrid servers, P2P and peer-to-client
- Dreamcast's Seaman game is getting a sequel
- Only 37% of active PS4 users bought PS Plus
- Capcom wants to resurrect old IPs
- Free Paypal Money Adder Online Tool Legit 2017
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Benchmarked: CPU & GPU War
- NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017