Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading
The Lenovo ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation has several IO ports on the unit for IO needs. Let's take a look at what options we have available to us.
Here we are looking at the right side of the Lenovo ThinkPad W540.
On the left, we have a DVD drive-sorry, no Blu-ray drive here for movies. The access port just above that is empty on our unit. Just to the right of the DVD drive are USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 connections. The little port near the rear of the workstation is a Kensington Lock.
Now looking at the left side, we find a large cooling vent followed by a Thunderbolt port, VGA output, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, card reader, ExpressCard/34, and a combined stereo jack.
At the rear of the Lenovo ThinkPad W540, on the left, there is an RJ45 LAN port then the battery. Following that, we have the AC power connection and another cooling vent.
Looking at the bottom of the W540, we find two large access covers and several vents. There are four rubber feet for the W540 to rest on, providing a non-slip surface to keep the laptop from sliding around on your desk.
The shape of the rear of the battery is contoured to the W540 outside. A round bulge matches the W540 and allows for a gripping surface for when you need to install or replace the battery. The battery just slides right in and locks. Just behind the battery are two unlocking levers that, when pulled left and right, unlock the battery for removal.
Here we have removed the top left access cover to peek at the insides. We can see the laptop's motherboard battery and Intel's Wireless-N 7260 WLAN module.
Removing the large access cover, we find the SSD drive and RAM slots. Two RAM bays have two RAM slots in each. Our unit had only one 8GB stick of RAM installed; this leaves the unit upgradeable to four 8GB sticks for a max RAM load out of 32GB.
The SSD installed in this unit is a Samsung MZ7TE256HMHP-000 SATA drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Destiny: The Taken King's raid won't be live upon release
- Save Up to 96% On August's Top 3 Deals
- Astronauts believe it's only a matter of time before man heads to Mars
- Destiny: Xur's Three of Coins exotic drop buff will be a gamble
- UK debuts its 'UK Against ISIL' social media account
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20