The Lenovo ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation comes with a full-sized and spill-resistant ergonomic keyboard. The keys for the keyboard have a good tactile feel to them. This is a membrane style keyboard, which requires very little pressure to push the keys down.
The position of the keyboard versus the body of the W540 allows you to set your wrist on the laptop corners and extend your fingers to the keys with ease. This was a comfortable position for us to work on while doing this review.
Across the top is a series of function keys optimized for Windows 8 and multimedia buttons that give instant access to key functions. Also on the keyboard is a TrackPoint pointing device that you can use your finger to move the mouse pointer around on the screen.
Here we have a closer look at the trackpad. It has a matte finish that matches the body of the W540. The trackpad has 5-point click integration, which allows you to configure it several ways.
It took us a little bit to get used to this trackpad. It feels a little clunky. Right clicking is a little awkward at first, but after using this for a while, it becomes second nature. We did find ourselves using a USB mouse when sitting at our desk and working. However, on the go, the trackpad works just fine.
Changing the button size to large helped us a great deal when using the trackpad.
Just to the right of the trackpad, we find the X-Rite PANTONE color calibration sensor and the FingerPrint scanner.
The color calibration sensor allows you keep the display calibrated according to PANTONE colors. This allows greater image accuracy and color that is more precise. This is useful for graphic artists and 3D modeling programs; you can match up to any system for more consistent color in video editing, photography, and CAD/CAM.
You will get a popup that says it is time to calibrate the monitor. Click on that popup and you then see this screen. Set your adjustments and click next.
You can change the brightness before you start the calibration process. When ready, click next and close the W540's display down to the closed position.
The calibration process will start and you will hear a series of beeps. When it is finished, the "I" in the ThinkPad logo will light up red.
When you open the lid to get back to the display, you will see this screen. Here you can change how often you want to calibrate the display. When finished, click next.
The last screen you will see allows you to see before and after effects of the calibration process. That is all there is to calibrating the W540 display.
Here we are looking at the FingerPrint scanner control panel app. You set this up by entering a password, and then completing the fingerprint scanning process. This allows you to have added security for your W540 to prevent unwanted users from accessing your data.
The W540 comes with a 15.5-inch 3K IPS (2880x1620) display. An in-plane switching (IPS) LCD with high brightness allows for vivid and accurate colors.
The screen resolution of 2880x1620 is rather high for a display of this size. By that, we mean text is rather small and hard to read. However, for doing CAD/CAM work and video editing, this comes in very handy.
The display also has a matte finish to it, which helps reduce reflections. Brightness adjustments are by function keys at the top of the keyboard, which makes for fast adjustments if needed.
We found the high brightness and IPS technology used in the display creates vivid colors with outstanding image quality. The display also has viewing angles of 180 degrees, which makes it easy for others to see the display for presentations.
Overall, we find the display simply gorgeous; watching movies or video editing is very pleasing. With the X-Rite Integrated Color Calibrator and PANTONE matching, you can maintain color fidelity that matches from machine to machine.
At the top of the display, the W540 comes equipped with an HD webcam and dual digital-array microphones, which supply premium audio input for recording or web conferencing.
Using this webcam with Skype or other messaging services is a breeze, and it provides high quality video and sound.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- Microsoft announces that Forza Motorsport 6 has gone gold
- It looks like there were only 12,000 'real' women on Ashley Madison
- Tomb Raider goes mobile with turn-based puzzle game 'Lara Croft Go'
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20