Geekbench 3 is a processor benchmark that simulates real-world scenarios.
The W540 again scores rather well in Geekbench. Scores above 10,000 for laptops are very good. Other laptops with lesser CPUs have a hard time getting to these scores.
PassMark performance test runs 32 tests, including CPU, 2D & 3D graphics, disk, and memory tests, to come up with an overall system ranking that allows you to determine how fast your computer is in comparison with other systems.
Scores we see here are just shy of some desktop systems. Again, we see plenty of system power in the W540.
PCMark 8 is the latest version in the series of PC benchmarking tools by Futuremark. It is fully compatible with Windows 8, and can be run under Windows 7.
PCMark 8 gives us a full system benchmark that can compare a wide range of applications that a typical user would run on the W540. In these tests, the NVIDIA Quadro K2100M helps a great deal in the graphics area, while the SSD gives a large boost to system related use.
SPECwpc_v1.0.2 is a workstation benchmark that measures key aspects of workstation applications.
These tests do put a huge load on the system and take about 8 hours to run on this system. SPECwpc puts a heavy load on the GPU.
Even small increases in scores show a big improvement in performance. The two important scores for the W540 are General Operations and Media & Entertainment; these are areas that typically the W540 would be used in.
These scores are actually not bad for a mobile workstation and show that even on location, the W540 can do serious number crunching.
Sony Vegas Pro 13
Sony Vegas Pro 13 is a leading video editor that is used by many people. In Vegas Pro 12, Sony introduced a benchmark that renders a Mercedes convertible like one you might see in a commercial. Even though Sony has removed this test, you can still find it on the internet.
We will be using this benchmark to render in Sony Vegas 13 Pro at 720p; 1080p; and 4K resolutions and with the CPU, Integrated GPU, and the NVIDIA Quadro.
The NVIDIA Quadro K2100M speeds through these benchmarks at about half the time or better than just the CPU. This is a great boost to video editing on the W540. Nothing is worse than being on location and shooting video all day, then coming back to your hotel room and starting to edit the day's video to find it takes forever to encode. We see the W540 really shines in this area.
BootRacer is an app that will tell you how long your computer takes to boot. It will measure the actual time your PC takes to get through the Windows boot process.
This is a free download for personal use and can tell you if your PC is booting slower over time or after you have installed apps.
We ran BootRacer on the W540 after we set everything up, before any other apps were installed. Over time, use, and installing other apps, you might find that the laptop might start to slow down or take longer to boot. The best practice is to keep your laptop clean of unwanted applications that affect booting times.
You can see your startup applications by running MSCONFIG from the command line. Then head over to the startup menu. Here you can disable startup apps that might be slowing your computer down during the boot process.
There is nothing worse than starting up your laptop and then going to make a pot of coffee because it takes so long to boot. 19 seconds is a fast boot up, so the W540 will not keep you waiting.
CrystalDiskMark is a well-known benchmark to test your HDD or SSD.
For an OS drive, the two most important numbers to look at are 4K read & writes. This is what the OS uses the bulk of the time.
Here we see 30.1 MB/s for reads and 73.84 MB/s for writes. These numbers are very good for a laptop SSD and show good performance.
The speeds of the Samsung MZ7TE256HMHP-000 used in the W540 are excellent and give the system a very responsive feel to it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- Intel MOBO with Fast POST boot time
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform