Test System Setup and Overclocking
We have a bunch of motherboards in our graphs here today, but the ASRock Z97X Killer is the only one that will be making use of our new i7-4790K. Instead, our other boards will be using our tried and tested i7-4770K. Over the next few weeks, though, as we test more and more Z97 motherboards, we will begin to phase out most of the motherboards that use the i7-4770K and instead replace them with boards that are using our new i7-4790K.
So, with all that said, let's quickly cover the boards that you will be seeing in our graphs here today. Apart from the ASRock Z97X Killer with the i7-4790K, which will be running at both stock and overclocked speeds, we have the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1, ASRock Z97 Extreme4, MSI Z97X-UD5H, and ASRock Z87 Killer all running the i7-4770K.
If you had a chance to read our i7-4790K review, you would already know how we went with overclocking. At the moment, the particular i7-4790K we have isn't the strongest overclocker. While our previous i7-4770K managed to achieve in the higher realms of 4.9GHz climbing towards 5GHz, our i7-4790K isn't blessed with the same overclocking ability.
Spending as much time in the BIOS as we could and messing around with the settings, we ended up with our i7-4790K running at 4.7GHz via a 47x multiplier. This is a good overclock and lines up with what a lot of other people are seeing from their i7-4790K. It's still not as high as what we could get on our previous chip, though, and we're hoping in the coming weeks we're able to get ahold of an i7-4790K that can clock higher.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni