Close up with the ASRock Z97X Killer
Taking a look at the motherboard, you can see the typical black and red color scheme that is associated with the Fatal1ty series of motherboards. Like most people, we are fans of the black and red color scheme because it really does match extremely well. This really is a great looking motherboard; let's move in closer and see just what exactly we're dealing with here today.
Moving in closer, you can see just exactly what we're dealing with from the expansion side of things. We have three PCIe x1 slots along with three PCIe x16 slots. The later run in the typical setup, which means x16 with one used, x8/x8 with two used, and x8/x4/x4 if all three are used. Between the top two x16 slots, you can see that ASRock has also included the popular M.2 slot that has made an appearance on the new Z97 chipset. While it still might be a little while before we see people make use of this, we can't deny the fact that almost every Z97 motherboard we have looked at offers it.
Heading to the bottom of the board, you can see a standard design. You can see our normal line up of headers, including USB, COM1, audio, and front panel. On the left side, you can see that ASRock offers a Molex power connector that should be used for people wanting to make use of a multi-GPU setup. On the right side, you can see our two BIOS chips.
Turning the corner, you can see our SATA setup that includes six SATA III ports and a single SATA Express port. All these ports, including the M.2 port we just mentioned above, run off the Intel Z97 controller.
Starting to head north, you can see a typical setup that sees our 24-pin ATX power connector along with a USB 3.0 header to the left of it. We've got our four standard DDR3 DIMM slots offering support for 32GB of DDR3, ranging in speed from 1066MHz all the way up to 3200MHz+ via overclocking.
Moving around the corner, you can see our standard 8-pin CPU power connector, and moving out a bit, we get a look at the CPU socket area, which like most these days is very clean looking. The heat sink quality is great, and you can see the red looks fantastic when looking closer, especially up against the black PCB. There's really not too much to say here, as the setup is pretty standard with plenty of room for just about any type of heat sink setup.
Finishing up our look at the motherboard, we head over to the I/O side of things where we start with two USB 2.0 connectors along with a combo PS2 port. Moving along, we have display out options via VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI. Continuing along, you can see we have six USB 3.0 ports, four that run off the Intel Z97 chipset and two that run off of the ASMedia ASM1042AE controller. Gigabit networking is provided via the Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200 series chip, while the Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec provides five auxiliary ports and an optical port.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- Fable Legends will use foliage physics to increase visual fidelity
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- Intel MOBO with Fast POST boot time
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform