We have a slew of CPUs that are sitting alongside our Intel I7 4970K today ranging from older models like the i7 990X Extreme Edition to the super expensive i7 4960X Extreme Edition. As for the AMD side of things we've included the AMD FX-8150. The main thing we want to do here, though, before we get into the performance of our Devils Canyon CPU is see just what happen with overclocking.
What we had hoped for was to get something that would sit better then what our previous generation i7 4770K achieved. That particular processor went from around 4.9GHz – 4.98GHz on a strong motherboard. With 4.9GHz our starting point we figured that we would head into the BIOS and adjust out CPU multiplier to 49x. Straight away we saw our System not booting up. This was a little disappointing.
We headed back into the BIOS to adjust some of the voltages more to see if we could get this happening. No matter what we did, though, this just wasn't going to happen. We decided to head back into the BIOS again and adjust the multiplier down one to 48x. This bought us more luck but once in Windows we weren't greeted with the stability we need for the system to complete our benchmark line up.
In the end we had to settle for a 47x Multiplier which bought our CPU in at 4697MHz or 4.7GHz as illustrated in our graphs here today. This overclock is a little disappointing when compared to what we saw out of our 4770K. Talking to some friends, though, this is a pretty standard overclock for the new processor. The 4.9GHz+ clock that our older 4770K saw was a very strong overclock when compared to others and this particular CPU came a little later and was pre tested from another company. Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll get a chance to see a 4790K that can clock higher for our motherboard reviews. For now, though, the 4.7GHz we achieved with the ASRock Z97X Killer will have to be enough.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Destiny 2 trailer shows Cabal invading Last City
- AMD's 12C/24T and 16C/32T CPUs called 'ThreadRipper'
- FMV games are coming back with Late Shift on April 18
- First Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs announced
- AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G announced
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design