We have upgraded our power testing equipment and now use a Yokogawa WT310 power meter for testing. The Yokogawa WT310 feeds its data through a USB cable to another machine where we can capture the test results.
To test total system power use, we use the AIDA64 Stability test to load the CPU and record the results. We also now add in the power use for a server from off state to all the way to the desktop. This gives us data on power consumption during the boot process.
Here we can see that the system with 6338P processors uses about 300 watts at idle and that the 6370P system is using about 320 watts. Power use jumps right up when we start the tests to a peak of 500 watts and 520 watts, respectively. In some of our SPEC CPU2006 tests, we did see peak power use in the range of 640 watts.
When you consider that the AS-2042G-6RF server has four processors and 32 sticks of RAM installed, the power use is understandable.
Here we can see that these systems use about 20 watts when turned off to keep IPMI active. After hitting the power button, power use jumps to almost 400 watts, peaking at about 450 watts and 475 watts, respectively. After a brief run up of the server and booting the OS, the AS-2042G-6RF server will settle down to the 300-watt range.
This is useful to know when powering up a rack of these servers.
The Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF server is an extremely powerful server that offers high-density compute capabilities to meet the needs of HPC or VM environments.
This server is impressive to say the least; with 64 pure cores running, it can chew through anything with no problem. The number of VMs that you can run on the AS-2042G-6RF is also staggering.
On the AS-2042G-6RF, you can assign as much RAM and as many CPUs to a VM as you need. With virtualization, you can technically "over-allocate" your resources as long as you manage them properly to increase the number of VMs.
The AS-2042G-6RF also has the storage abilities to handle all of those VMs or databases, thanks to a built-in LSI 2008 8-port 6Gbps SAS controller.
This is a hard server to beat in performance. Then factor in the value of a server like this, and it is a winning combination. The price point for this server is very reasonable considering its capabilities.
We would also like to add that the rail kits Supermicro uses are about the easiest to install in a rack that we have used. They simply lock into place and slide out, and then you can slide the server into the rails. This server weighs in at about 71 pounds, so please use two people to rack it.
PRICING: You can find the Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF barebones kit (no CPUs) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF barebones kit (no CPUs) retails for $2,140.33 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar in huge screw up
- Switch handheld battery lasts over 3 hours playing Zelda
- Hack 'Mr Robot' and win a Season 2 Blu-ray on us!
- Samsung teases the Galaxy S8 and confirms launch date
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand