The Samsung XP941 has been on the market for quite a while now. Apple and Sony both embraced Samsung's futuristic wonder in retail products. Apple brought an XP941 variant to the market in the 2013 Macbook Pro and later in the new cylinder-shaped Mac Pro. Sony took a different route and stuffed the XP941 in a VAIO Pro 13-inch Ultrabook. None of these products are all that interesting from the eyes of a Windows person. The Apple is easy to discount by name only, and the last thing most of us would want to pair together is an amazing SSD with a 13-inch display.
Things have changed with the introduction of Intel's new Z97 chipset. Over the last two generations of chipsets, motherboard manufacturers have slowly implemented UEFI capabilities in mainboard BIOS. With Intel's guidance, and a product to fill the need, the Samsung XP941 can now be used as a boot device in off-the-shelf motherboards.
At this time, there is only one confirmed enthusiast motherboard on the market, but booting to PCIe storage is on every motherboard manufacturer's radar. Z97 brings SATA Express and M.2 storage to the world consumer world.
The lone motherboard that fully supports Samsung's PCIe 2.0 4-lane SSD is the ASRock Extreme6. Sadly, our sample is still twelve hours away at the time of writing, but we'll publish a full review in the coming days. With an adapter, the XP941 works in other motherboards on the market, but only as secondary storage (you can't boot from the drive).
Additional compatibility will come, but don't look to onboard M.2 slots for full performance. The Extreme6 is the only Z97 board on the market that supports 4-lane PCIe storage; the others are only 2 lanes. The Extreme6 takes PCIe storage a step further and is the first PCIe 3.0 4-lane capable product on the market. We haven't even encountered a PCIe 3.0 SSD on the enterprise side either. We'll talk more about the Extreme6 in a few days. Until then, let's talk about why we would even be interested in Z97 from a storage point of view.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 SSD]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage (Drives with Data Testing)]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Nuts and Bolts]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- BioShock devs might be making new Twilight Zone 'game'
- A closer look at Mass Effect: Andromeda's power combos
- Digital Nintendo Switch games locked to one console
- All new Halo games will have split-screen, 343i confirms
- Dead Rising 4 shambles to Steam in March
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications