Gigabyte is definitely one for trying new things. For us it can be a way to get our hands on either one of the hard to find SiS chipsets or the new VIA PT880, but sometimes there is a cost - either not enough overclocking, lacking certain features or overall no BIOS updates to rectify problems since so much is being taken on.
The GA-8VT880 Ultra is a motherboard that has some potential; however, just a few things set it back. Firstly the placement of the 4 pin power connector. We have given Gigabyte some head way when it comes to this problem, but it doesn't seem to be something that is coming to the attention of the R&D department. For low cost motherboards it is fine but for avid overclocking motherboards, times are changing and something needs to be done.
Overclocking options while good could be improved. After all, EPoX, a company who once had no overclocking motherboards have pulled themselves to one of the top overclocking manufacturers, and with some careful work, Gigabyte could as well.
On the good side, we have a reasonable overclocking set, Gigabit Ethernet, Firewire and PATA and SATA RAID which are both a great bonus especially for IDE RAID users who are still in existence.
The Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra has proven to be a motherboard worthy of a mid-class system, but for hardcore overclocking, look elsewhere.
Reasonable overclocking set
Relatively good performance
Overclocking could be improved
Placement of 4 pin power connector needs rethinking
Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 3 [Features]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra 2004 SP1]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Gigabyte GA-8VT880 Ultra - Page 12 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Apple expected to launch even thinner MacBook Air models next year
- New 'Batman V Superman' teaser revels in animosity
- USB-C connector updated with Intel's Thunderbolt 3 transfer protocol
- Crimson Edition hotfix driver released, fixes fan and game issues
- Just Cause 3 experiencing performance issues on the PS4
- Some Recommendations If You Intend To Deliver Money To India Or Oriental Co
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- [ASROCK A75 PRO4] What should my next step be?
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- Polk BOOM Adds to Ready 4 Anything Speaker Family with New Swimmer Duo and Swimmer Jr.
- Viper SmartStart 4.0 Now Lets You Control Your Car from Your Wrist
- Gemalto Payment HSM Supports Cloud Tokenization Requirements for Secure Mobile Payment Transactions and Digitization of Credit Card Credentials
- ALL-METAL LG ZERO BRINGS TOGETHER LUXURIOUS DESIGN WITH BEST CAMERA TECHNOLOGY
- AMD Promotes Renowned Graphics Architect Michael Mantor to Corporate Fellow