Close up with the MSI R9 280X 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC
Taking a look at the card, you can see the overall design isn't anything too out of the ordinary. We've seen the Twin Frozr IV cooler a number of times already, and you can see we've got two large fans sitting on top of a massive aluminum heat sink. Behind it, you can see the copper plate that goes over the GPU, and you can see a number of heat pipes that come out of it to help push the hot air away. While only aesthetic, you can also see the great looking black PCB, which is something we're always a fan of.
Taking the time to move around the card, you can see that power comes in the form of a single 8-Pin and 6-Pin PCIe power connector. Here we can also see one of the heat pipes that comes out the core and makes it way down the end of the heat sink. Moving across the top of the card to the front, you can see we've got our two CrossFire connectors along with our dual BIOS switch, which gives us access to the Hybrid and Legacy BIOS.
When it comes to the connectivity side of things, we've got a pretty solid setup going on with a Dual-Link DVI-I, HDMI 1.4a, and two Mini DisplayPort connectors to round things off. What we really like is the fact that MSI has included a Mini DP to DisplayPort connector in the bundle.
As we mentioned at the start, the MSI R9 280X 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC is indeed an OC card, meaning it comes overclocked out of the box. Coming in at 1050MHz on the core, this is 50MHz up on the default 1000MHz clock seen on the R9 280X. As for the massive 6GB of GDDR5 that this particular card is sporting, it carries with it the standard 6000MHz QDR memory clock.
Today, though, we're going to be overclocking the card, and looking above, you can see that the core has been pushed up to a strong 1200MHz. As for the 6GB of GDDR5, that's also been bumped up to a strong 7000MHz QDR. This is a strong overclock, and we're hoping for some strong performance moving forward.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 15 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Lenovo confirms smaller battery for the Moto Z2 Play
- First images of Nokia's upcoming flagship leak
- Rare Apple-1 computer from 1976 auctioned for $130,000
- Facebook rolling out 'Order Food' option
- 27-year-old gamer without eyes still plays games
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Custom Storage Unit
- Z170-WS, 3002 bios, and SLI not working. Anyone else experience this?
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning