Close up with the MSI R9 280X 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC
Taking a look at the card, you can see the overall design isn't anything too out of the ordinary. We've seen the Twin Frozr IV cooler a number of times already, and you can see we've got two large fans sitting on top of a massive aluminum heat sink. Behind it, you can see the copper plate that goes over the GPU, and you can see a number of heat pipes that come out of it to help push the hot air away. While only aesthetic, you can also see the great looking black PCB, which is something we're always a fan of.
Taking the time to move around the card, you can see that power comes in the form of a single 8-Pin and 6-Pin PCIe power connector. Here we can also see one of the heat pipes that comes out the core and makes it way down the end of the heat sink. Moving across the top of the card to the front, you can see we've got our two CrossFire connectors along with our dual BIOS switch, which gives us access to the Hybrid and Legacy BIOS.
When it comes to the connectivity side of things, we've got a pretty solid setup going on with a Dual-Link DVI-I, HDMI 1.4a, and two Mini DisplayPort connectors to round things off. What we really like is the fact that MSI has included a Mini DP to DisplayPort connector in the bundle.
As we mentioned at the start, the MSI R9 280X 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC is indeed an OC card, meaning it comes overclocked out of the box. Coming in at 1050MHz on the core, this is 50MHz up on the default 1000MHz clock seen on the R9 280X. As for the massive 6GB of GDDR5 that this particular card is sporting, it carries with it the standard 6000MHz QDR memory clock.
Today, though, we're going to be overclocking the card, and looking above, you can see that the core has been pushed up to a strong 1200MHz. As for the 6GB of GDDR5, that's also been bumped up to a strong 7000MHz QDR. This is a strong overclock, and we're hoping for some strong performance moving forward.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 15 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard announces a new voice chat app for desktops
- NVIDIA's new GeForce 375.57 drivers are ready for BF1
- Sony added 1GB of DRAM to the PS4 Pro, joins 8GB GDDR5
- Oceanhorn hit record sales, teases Switch development
- New Plants Vs Zombies: Heroes launches on iOS & Android
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system