8k Random Read/Write
Server workloads rely heavily upon 8k performance, and we include this as a standard with each evaluation. Many of our server emulations also test 8k performance with various mixed read/write workloads.
The average 8k random read speed of the Micron M500DC is 48,034 IOPS at 256 OIO; the Intel DC S3500 measures 44,444 IOPS, and the Samsung SM843 ekes out the win with 48,277 IOPS. The SM843 again provides impressive read speed, but it does not outpace the M500DC by nearly as large of a margin as observed with 4k random read activity.
All three SSDs exhibit a tight latency range during the 8k random read test.
The M500DC easily leads with an average of 23,852 IOPS. The DC S3500 averages 6,937 IOPS, and the SM843 averages 6,254 IOPS at 256 OIO.
The M500DC delivers tight, consistent performance during the test period. The DC S3500 also has a tightly defined latency envelope, but it is much higher than the M500DC.
The M500DC owns the 8k mixed workload testing with a large lead during the majority of the test. While the DC S3500 has a tighter performance profile, it is well below the M500DC.
Power consumption for the M500DC averages 4.77 watts. The DC S3500 averages 3.75 watts during the measurement window, and the SM843 requires 2.71 watts.
The M500DC leads the efficiency test convincingly with 4,877 IOPS-per-Watt. The DC S3500 averages 1,584 IOPS-per-Watt, and the SM843 measures 2,234 IOPS-per-Watt.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Micron M500DC Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google's total cost to manufacture the Pixel XL is $285
- Tesla reports a profit for the first time in three years
- Jump into programming with 4 top Java courses
- Apple delays AirPods, says they 'aren't ready'
- Windows 10 Creators Update is all about AR and VR
- Lenovo Ideapad Y900-17ISK Gaming Notebook Review
- How to upgrade front I/O Panel for V2100 to USB 3.0 or even 3.1
- Not able to adjust timings!
- Battlefield 1 PC Performance and Quality Report
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software