Test System Setup and NAS Management
Our Consumer NAS test 'system' is setup similar to what you have at home. Here we have the base as a GIGABYTE Z77X UP5 TH, which is housing an Intel Core i5-3570K with 16GB of RAM supporting. Our Operating System of choice is Windows 8 x64 Enterprise, with all available updates and patches installed, on a Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD. On the networking side, we utilized the HotLava Vesuvius 6 Port Server Adapter with a direct connection to each NAS appliance. This eliminates the need for a switch, and any bottlenecks that may occur.
The TeraStation 5600 WSS ships preconfigured in RAID 5, and it should stay there. RAID 5 uses fewer system resources than RAID 6, and at the same time, it still keeps your data in a redundant environment. The system supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and JBOD. Optionally, you can configure Windows Storage Pools to allow a two-way parity.
The system information screen for the 5600 WSS shows us a little more about the server itself. Here we can see we are running an x64 copy of Storage Server 2012 R2 fully activated out of the box.
Moving on, we opened up the device manager to take a peek. Here we can see all six drives ready to go, dual NICs, and of course, the four cores on the Intel Atom D2701.
Installed on the TeraStation, you will find the Dashboard; from here, you can get a quick look at what's going on with the system, and if you happen to have a few TeraStations set up at your business, you can beep the machine, and it will play a jingle reminiscent of the old Zelda tune.
Additionally, we have RAID builder from Buffalo that allows quick setup of RAID arrays if you don't want to muck about in disk manager or fiddle with Storage Spaces.
Buffalo also added an interesting application that will allow us to tweak the settings of the front mounted LCD screen.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Galaxy S8 rumored to cost $849, launches on March 29
- Microsoft loves PC gaming, no HDR support in Halo Wars 2
- Pentium G4560 costs $64, fights Core i5-2500K at $270
- Modified Tesla Model S goes from 0-100 in 2.1 seconds
- Airbus wants to start testing flying cars this year
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99