Version and / or Patch Used: 2012 1.5
The Crucial M550 512GB scored in the middle of the pack in our notebook battery life test at just over 266 minutes on our Lenovo W530 with a six-cell battery. The Crucial M500 delivers the best-in-class battery life.
A topic we discussed in the previous M550 articles is the fact that Crucial now has a two-drive approach for the SSD market. The notebook battery life test shows the M500's superior power handling, and in every other test we published today, the M550 features superior performance capabilities.
With the M550 clean and with long periods of idle time, the drive performs very well. In some cases, it's the fastest 512GB drive currently on the market. Then there are those other times when the drive is slower, with increased access times and with slow file transfers to the drive. Luckily, it's not every day we install large games or wear a drive down with massive data writes. Even then, after some idle time, the M550 recovers.
There is still one problem in this capacity size that will make potential M550 buyers think twice: its name is 840 EVO. Newegg shows the 840 EVO 500GB at $259.99 and the M550 512GB at $336.99. The performance of these two drives is similar, but there is a large price discrepancy. Crucial needs to close the gap in order to gain market share.
The only real thing really holding this drive back is the price. From a hardware perspective, the M550 delivers the goods. The hardware encryption and host power fail protection are very nice features if you need them. Everyone can benefit from host power fail protection; it's a nice insurance policy for serious users doing real work. Hardware encryption is also a nice feature, but not everyone can use it. Even though Microsoft added eDrive to Windows, other hardware components must be compatible as well, and we've found several that are not. It's something to consider when building a system.
PRICING: You can find the Crucial M550 (512GB) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Crucial M550 (512GB) retails for $331.22 at Amazon.
New Zealand: The Crucial M550 (512GB) retails for $616.99 NZD at Mighty Ape NZ.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LeEco's crash in the US leaves hundreds unemployed
- Tekken 7 PC requirements revealed
- Huawei announces another low-end phone - the Y6 2017
- Far Cry 5 box art shows villains, airplanes, and chaos
- Sony's Project FIELD mobile tech may release in 2017
- Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced Remote Control Review
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017