HGST SSD800MH Internals
The HGST Ultrastar SSD800MH comes in a robust 2.5-inch metal casing with a 15mm z-height.
The dual-PCB architecture is fastened internally to the molded casing with four additional screws. Thick thermal pads are placed on each component to facilitate heat transfer.
The daughterboard is slightly smaller than the main board, and it has a cutout for the inline electrolytic capacitor. HGST SSDs uses a single capacitor connected to the PCB to provide power hold-up in the event of power loss. This power-loss protection approach is similar to the method employed with the latest Intel SSDs. These capacitors handle high heat environments and have a longer average life than supercapacitors.
The HGST/Intel collaboration is apparent with the Intel logo emblazoned on the PCB, controller, and NAND. The two connectors on each PCB mate to provide communication between the main PCB and the daughterboard. The main PCB houses the controller, DRAM, and NAND. The daughterboard only hosts NAND packages. There is 1GB of SDRAM to the left of the controller.
There are twenty 16GB and twelve 32GB 25nm MLC NAND packages, for a total of 704GB, of which 372GB is user-addressable. This heavy amount of overprovisioning provides incredible endurance and improves performance consistency.
HGST and Intel jointly developed the surprisingly small 12-channel DB29AA11AB0 controller, and the associated firmware, that powers the drive.
HGST SSD800MH Specifications
The SSD800MH features a read error rate of less than 1 LBA per 10^17 bits transferred, an MTBF of two million power-on hours, and a 0.44 percent AFR. The drives support variable sector sizes of 512B, 520B, 528B, 4096B, and 4224B. TCQ support is standard, and the drive features adaptive read-ahead algorithms.
TCG encryption, crypto sanitize, and TCG + FIPS-certified models are also available, and they retain the same performance specifications.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [HGST SSD800MH Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Score this award-winning Bluetooth speaker for 50% off
- Blizzard talk rewards in World of Warcraft patch: 7.1
- The sales of smartwatches have dropped by more than 50%
- Scientists think they've received signals from aliens
- Intel's new Atom processor is a step closer to Skynet
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards