HGST SSD800MH Internals
The HGST Ultrastar SSD800MH comes in a robust 2.5-inch metal casing with a 15mm z-height.
The dual-PCB architecture is fastened internally to the molded casing with four additional screws. Thick thermal pads are placed on each component to facilitate heat transfer.
The daughterboard is slightly smaller than the main board, and it has a cutout for the inline electrolytic capacitor. HGST SSDs uses a single capacitor connected to the PCB to provide power hold-up in the event of power loss. This power-loss protection approach is similar to the method employed with the latest Intel SSDs. These capacitors handle high heat environments and have a longer average life than supercapacitors.
The HGST/Intel collaboration is apparent with the Intel logo emblazoned on the PCB, controller, and NAND. The two connectors on each PCB mate to provide communication between the main PCB and the daughterboard. The main PCB houses the controller, DRAM, and NAND. The daughterboard only hosts NAND packages. There is 1GB of SDRAM to the left of the controller.
There are twenty 16GB and twelve 32GB 25nm MLC NAND packages, for a total of 704GB, of which 372GB is user-addressable. This heavy amount of overprovisioning provides incredible endurance and improves performance consistency.
HGST and Intel jointly developed the surprisingly small 12-channel DB29AA11AB0 controller, and the associated firmware, that powers the drive.
HGST SSD800MH Specifications
The SSD800MH features a read error rate of less than 1 LBA per 10^17 bits transferred, an MTBF of two million power-on hours, and a 0.44 percent AFR. The drives support variable sector sizes of 512B, 520B, 528B, 4096B, and 4224B. TCQ support is standard, and the drive features adaptive read-ahead algorithms.
TCG encryption, crypto sanitize, and TCG + FIPS-certified models are also available, and they retain the same performance specifications.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [HGST SSD800MH Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA rumored to unveil Volta-based GeForce tomorrow
- X299 AORUS Gaming 9 teased, ready for 12C/24T CPUs
- Nintendo to produce 18 million Switch consoles this year
- GIVEAWAY: Patriot Viper V570 Mouse and V370 RGB Headset
- Huawei launches new nova 2 with dual rear camera
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017