Features of the FX5900XTV Continued
- The Card
The card itself is remarkably small for a GeForce FX 5900 part. In fact, it measures the exact same as a lot of 5700 cards which is quite good as it reduces the size of the PCB and reduces the costs to the consumer.
The layout is somewhat different from other 5900 series cards. For one, no memory chips are placed on the back of the card. That's right; the whole 128MB of onboard memory is located on the front of the card. This allows for a reduced cost to the consumer once again as there are less chips and trace wire run outs for the second bank of memory. Cooling is also more effective as the passive cooling on the RAM can receive air flow from the GPU heatsink and fan.
- The GPU
Without any surprise, the GPU is identical to the FX 5900 and 5900 Ultra since there are only clock differences between each.
When we first heard of the XT series of nVidia cards, we were thinking of a fully cut down version, we were wrong. nVidia has kept all the additional features of the NV35 series including 256-bit memory, 4x2 engine as well as the 256-bit GPU power. The clock rate of the XT has been lowered to 400MHz (390MHz for some other brands, depending on the maker). This is the only difference; HTC and the CinFX 2.0 engine are all present, making this a cheap 5900 for what you get.
- Memory and TV functions
For the memory, Albatron has used 128MB of Samsung 2.8ns DDR SDRAM. This memory is passively cooled with ramsinks. As mentioned before, there are no modules on the back of the card to allow for reduced costs and improved cooling.
Albatron has decked out the FX5900XTV with VIVO functions. For Encoding for TV out the Silicon Image PHY is used in conjunction with the FX 5900's built in TV encoders. For decoding for TV in function the Phillips SA7114M media processor is used. This allows for streaming media input from AV and S-Video sources which is good for capturing analogue video.
Overclocking couldn't be any better.
Since the FX5900XTV is an underclocked 5900 Ultra series GPU, it stands to reason that 5900 Ultra speeds are possible - this is a yes and no affair. Yes, in that you can hit them, but you will need to have a better cooling solution on the GPU.
We managed with our stock cooling to push the memory to just on 950MHz DDR and the GPU to 436MHz which was a very good overclock in our opinion.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 2 [Features - The Package]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 3 [Features - The Card]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and FutureMark]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 6 [Benchmarks - X2 Rolling Demo]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Albatron FX5900XTV - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Skylake-powered Retina MacBook models are on their way
- HTC co-founder gets a second job at a visual effects company
- Razer announces a new customizable Xbox One controller for $150
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20