Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
While we'd normally expect quite a premium for a Lightning based card, due to the fact that the R9 290X continues to run out of stock, the price of the model has jumped in general. For that reason, the mid $700 price tag that you can find the MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning OC for is really competitive. Stock is going to be one of the larger issues as the model is going to no doubt come in and then go straight out. Looking today, though, the model is really worth the wait if you're happy to do so.
When it comes to performance, the card is fantastic. Out of the box, it sports the highest overclock of any R9 290X 4GB that we've looked at. You don't have to be some crazy overclocker to see the value in the Lightning version of the R9 290X 4GB from MSI. There's no denying, though, that if you're going to get the most out of it and the most performance for your money, then you would want to really fire up MSI Afterburner.
Overclocking is really quite easy, and outside of adding extra performance for nothing, it's just a blast to do anyway. MSI doesn't offer anything that is going to cause problems to the card in terms of voltages, so you can max them out and then take the time to overclock the core and memory to see just how much performance you can get out of the card.
When it comes to the bundle, you can see that it's fairly standard with everything you need to get up and running. You haven't got much in terms of extras, and if you're not really overclocking, the inclusion of the plate for Water Cooling and LN2 users isn't going to be much use. The same can be said for the V-Check cables; most users will probably find themselves not needing these.
You don't have to have a water cooling setup or be playing with extreme elements to see the value in the MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning OC. Out of the box, it's the fastest R9 290X 4GB we've tested because of the strong core overclock MSI offers. For the money, you're still getting a fantastically built product that has got a number of improvements over the reference card thanks to the Twin Frozr Cooler and Military Class 4 components. MSI has set the bar for performance again here today and it's no doubt going to be hard to top.
PRICING: You can find the MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning OC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning OC retails for $842.07 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Matt Damon: Latest 'Bourne' movie inspired by Edward Snowden saga
- NASA begins year-long Mars isolation experiment on Earth
- Ashley Madison CEO stepping down after devastating data breach
- Final Fantasy 15 almost had VR support
- VR will slowly trickle to mainstream market, says Oculus founder
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- Until Dawn Sony PlayStation 4 Review
- ASUS gaming PC
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20