128k Sequential Read/Write
We write to every LBA on both drives to highlight performance degradation from the outer to inner tracks of both drives. The drives begin with much higher speed on the outer tracks, 180 MB/s for the HGST Ultrastar He6 and 171 MB/s for the 7K4000. As we move to the inner tracks, the He6 falls to a low average of 86 MB/s, and the 7K4000 falls to 93 MB/s. The 7K4000 finishes its pass over its 4TB in 7.5 hours, and the He6 requires 11.5 hours to write the entire 6TB of data.
128k sequential speed reflects the maximum sequential throughput of the HDD. The He6 takes the lead in sequential read activity with an average of 179 MB/s. The 7K4000 lags behind with an average of 172 MB/s.
The He6 provides lower latency across the board with sequential read activity.
The He6 maintains its lead in sequential workloads with an average of 179 MB/s compared to 172 MB/s from the 7K4000.
The He6 also handles mixed workloads well as it continues to best the 7K4000 in sequential speed measurements.
The He6 averages 7.46 watts, much lower than the 8.72-watt average from the 7K4000.
The He6 delivers a commanding lead in sequential workload efficiency.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [HGST Ultrastar He6 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives