128k Sequential Read/Write
We write to every LBA on both drives to highlight performance degradation from the outer to inner tracks of both drives. The drives begin with much higher speed on the outer tracks, 180 MB/s for the HGST Ultrastar He6 and 171 MB/s for the 7K4000. As we move to the inner tracks, the He6 falls to a low average of 86 MB/s, and the 7K4000 falls to 93 MB/s. The 7K4000 finishes its pass over its 4TB in 7.5 hours, and the He6 requires 11.5 hours to write the entire 6TB of data.
128k sequential speed reflects the maximum sequential throughput of the HDD. The He6 takes the lead in sequential read activity with an average of 179 MB/s. The 7K4000 lags behind with an average of 172 MB/s.
The He6 provides lower latency across the board with sequential read activity.
The He6 maintains its lead in sequential workloads with an average of 179 MB/s compared to 172 MB/s from the 7K4000.
The He6 also handles mixed workloads well as it continues to best the 7K4000 in sequential speed measurements.
The He6 averages 7.46 watts, much lower than the 8.72-watt average from the 7K4000.
The He6 delivers a commanding lead in sequential workload efficiency.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [HGST Ultrastar He6 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's Q2 2016 profits are the largest in over two years
- New details emerge on Samsung Galaxy Note 7, new Gear VR headset
- Quake is being remade in Unreal Engine 4, and it could be awesome
- Xiaomi is rumored to announce a VR headset on August 1
- Farming Simulator 2017 gameplay trailer released
- Can't use Google maps
- Main GA Z97X UD5H BK cannot boot with VGA R9 280X
- Z170 Deluxe Help Setup with RAID10 + SSD for OS
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio