Toshiba PX02SS Internals
The 800GB versions come with a 15mm z-height. The case is constructed of a lightweight metal alloy and features the relevant branding. The top of the case also holds a recessed series of indentations that function as heat channels. The rear of the case has a metal recessed area, and we note a square hole, and several round ones, on the bottom of the SSD to allow heat to flow from the interior of the case.
The thermal characteristics of the heat channels become clear when we open the case of the SSD. There are small thermal pads that mate with the NAND and DRAM to wick heat away from these components. The pads are present on both sides of the case. Four small thermal pads mate with the top of the controller and another four connect to the PCB on the rear of the controller. We usually observe large thick thermal pads that cover entire banks of NAND in many enterprise SSDs. In this type of 'open' case design, this could impede internal airflow.
There is a SK Hynix DRAM module on both sides of the PCB. The large controller dominates the middle of the PCB. There are eight 64GB 24nm eMLC NAND packages (8k page) on both the top and bottom of the PCB with eight 64Gb die per package. This gives us 1024GB of raw NAND, only 400GB of which is user-addressable. A total of 34 power capacitors protect from host power loss.
The Marvell TC58NC9036GTC controller utilizes custom Toshiba firmware.
Toshiba PX02SS Specifications
The PX02SS has static random performance specifications with all capacity points, but the 800GB model takes a small hit in sequential read speed. There is 1GB of DRAM caching on the 800GB, 256MB for the 200GB, and 512MB for the 400GB model.
The PX02SS is compatible with 6Gb/s and 12Gb/s SAS3 dual-port connections. The full-duplex 12Gb/s SAS connection features multi-path ability for failover redundancy to ensure no single point of failure. The drive features a read error rate of less than one LBA per 10^17 bits transferred and an MTBF of two million power-on hours.
Power loss protection is built-in with a bank of tantalum capacitors to flush data in transit down to the NAND in the event of a power failure. The energy efficiency is 19,500 IOPS-per-Watt for the 400GB model, though this is measured as read IOPS-per-Watt. The PX02SS features up to 30 drive writes per day (DWPD) of endurance. There are also versions supporting SANITIZE Instant erase available, but they come with a notable 190 MiB/s decrease in sequential read speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Toshiba PX02SS Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Far Cry 5 co-op supports full campaign
- Far Cry 5: Everything you need to know
- EVGA teases its GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin, unveil at Computex
- SAPPHIRE announces RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition
- Oppo R11 launch date and first images of the phone leak
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017