Watchya' Gonna Do With It?
Smartwatches are still a funny product, so there's no real reason to own one just yet, which is unlike the other big wearable: Google Glass. I found myself using the Sony SmartWatch 2 as a pager to my smartphone, which was incredibly handy at my busiest times.
I was driving along to the shops when I felt my wrist vibrate; my first phone call was coming through while I was using the SW2! I was able to screen the call by checking my watch, which didn't distract me anywhere near as much as it would if I were to have pulled my phone out of my pocket to check what all the vibration fuss was all about.
Then there's the fact that when I'm driving, most of the time I don't feel my smartphone vibrating in my pocket. This means I miss important calls that I should've pulled over and answered, but this is not an issue with the SmartWatch 2.
Facebook and Gmail notifications are blasted through to the SW2, which can be useful when an e-mail comes through. I was able to check the subject line of the e-mail, again, without having to touch my smartphone.
Facebook notifications were the same, but it began to annoy me as my SmartWatch 2 was vibrating every 15-30 minutes with notifications being blasted out to my wrist.
The Style: Sony has done quite well with the aesthetics of the SmartWatch 2. I didn't expect it to look good, but damn did the SmartWatch 2 look good on my wrist. For something that comes in at under $160 on Amazon, it looks like it is worth much more.
The Screen: Having a screen that is viewable in direct daylight is a huge benefit for a smartwatch. I was quite surprised at how visible the SmartWatch 2 was in direct sunlight; I could easily make out the time while the sun was shining directly into it.
It Doubles as a Watch!: What! Really? A smartwatch can be a normal watch? Yes, and that is something that should be noted. As someone who doesn't wear a watch, this is a big point. It was nice to not have to pull my smartphone out my pocket to check the time.
The Perfect Smartphone Accessory: I found the SW2 was a great accessory to my smartphone, especially for incoming phone calls. Normally, I don't feel my smartphone vibrating away in my pocket, but I definitely felt the SW2 vibrating on my wrist.
Do You Really Need One?: Well, that is really up to you. If you're after a stylish watch that just so happens to double as a smartwatch, then yes. If you want a watch that can notify you of incoming phone calls, Facebook notifications, and more, then the SmartWatch 2 should be on the top of your list.
In the end, I found Sony's SmartWatch 2 a great accessory to my smartphone. It's something that doesn't replace it, but compliments it.
I never expected to want to replace my smartphone, but I didn't expect the Sony SmartWatch 2 to compliment my smartphone so much. Being able to screen incoming calls was a great function, something that I really came to enjoy in the two or so weeks with my time with Sony's wearable device.
If you are after a smartwatch that not only looks great but has some great--albeit basic--functions, then you should have the Sony SmartWatch 2 at the top of your to-buy list.
PRICING: You can find the Sony SmartWatch 2 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Sony SmartWatch 2 retails for $154.99 at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Division on PC is held back, as it would be 'unfair' to consoles
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance