Seagate's wide range of enterprise HDD products encompass every workload requirement. We have evaluated the Enterprise Turbo SSHD, the Enterprise Performance 10K v7, and the Enterprise Capacity ES.3. Today, we are rounding out the Seagate product stack with the Savvio 15K.3. In this product evaluation, we will be comparing the 15K.3 to the entire Seagate family to examine its position in the Seagate family.
The Savvio 15K.3 is a 2.5-inch 6Gb/s SAS HDD that spins at 15,000 RPM. Dual-port SAS provides failover and multipath for mission-critical environments, the desired usage for this caliber of drive. The 15K.3 finds its home in high-performance Tier 1 blade, rack, and tower servers that host transactional-based applications. These speedy drives can also be used for caching and tiering models to speed the most critical data.
The Savvio 15K.3 features a 2.0ms average latency and a sustained transfer rate of 202 MB/s to 151 MB/s (inner to outer tracks). The drive features a 64MB multi-segmented cache used in conjunction with control algorithms to provide optional prefetch (read-ahead) and read/write caching. The drive supports logical block sizes of 512, 520, 524, and 528.
The 15K.3 is available as a standard model (ST9300653SS), a SED model (ST9300553SS), and a SED FIPS 140-02 Model (ST9300453SS). The standard model provides Protection Information (PI) for enhanced data integrity. The SED models offer AES-256 encryption and security for data at rest in compliance with TCG standards. These drives also support cryptographic erase, which allows for easy drive retirement and repurposing. The SED FIPS 140-02 models provide the utmost protection for sensitive but unclassified and protected-class data to ensure compliance goals and data security initiatives.
The 15K.3 sports the standard Non-recoverable Read Errors per bits read rating of 1 LBA per 10E16 and has an AFR of 0.44 percent. The MTBF is also impressive at 2,000,000 hours, and the drive is backed by a five-year warranty.
Each drive in the Seagate enterprise HDD portfolio is purpose built to deliver performance targeted for specific applications. The Enterprise Capacity ES.3 provides bulk storage for unstructured data in cloud environments, while the Seagate Enterprise Performance v7 fulfills the role of a fast drive for mission-critical data. Residing at the very top of the HDD pyramid, the Enterprise Turbo SSHD provides the fastest performance for Tier 0 applications. The SSHD is generally much faster in real applications than we can highlight with synthetic testing, but look to these pages soon for a review of an SSHD array under various transactional workloads.
The 15K.3 perches atop the pure-HDD performance tier for only a short time longer. The Seagate Enterprise Performance 15K v4 is due this summer and will offer higher performance in several key metrics.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Savvio 15K.3 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Corsair One: a new line of tiny, but powerful gaming PCs
- WikiLeaks: Apple Mac, iPhone firmware hacked by CIA
- AMD Ryzen 5 processors hit some retailers, 3 weeks early
- Madcatz delisted from New York Stock Exchange
- Director claims Rotten Tomatoes is 'destroying film'
- NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Corsair ONE Pro SFF Gaming PC Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Download "ScanPST.exe tool
- Gamdias Hermes P1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse