Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
The R9 290X 4GB is priced all over the place coming in between $700 and $800 depending on the brand. Along with that, stock is also a little all over the place with some models being available and some not. The good news is that the MSI variant of the R9 290X 4GB comes in at the middle of the pack and is in stock at the time of writing.
The model on a whole continues to be a strong performer, but even with MSI throwing on the Twin Frozr IV Advanced cooler, overclocking on the model continues to be quite limited. We got a bit of movement with the core, however, not much happened when it came to the 4GB of GDDR5. As soon as we started to move the memory clock north, our system would become unstable.
The highlight of the model, though, is the cooler more than anything, and the Twin Frozr IV Advanced cooler is wonderful. The 19c drop in load temperature on the core is fantastic, and combined with the slight drop in noise levels, we really have a strong improvement over the reference cooler.
As for the performance side of things, you're going to see a slight boost out of the box thanks to the small core increase that MSI offers. As for the overclocking side of things, the R9 290X 4GB model on a whole just doesn't seem to have a whole lot of room. This is the fourth time we've overclocked the model, and all four times we've had little success. We had hoped that when MSI released a newer version of Afterburner we'd see more room, but testing with multiple versions now we haven't really seen anything... at least not anything to get excited about, which would bring us to publish more articles over our original overclock one.
It will be interesting to see if MSI brings a Lightning version of the card to the market. If overclocking head room on a whole is just not that strong, the company may well choose to not worry about it. Since we don't know AMD's future roadmap at the moment and considering that NVIDIA just launched the GTX TITAN Black, it's possible that AMD may choose to retaliate in some way later down the track.
Let's move away from all that, though, and onto a few more specifics of the MSI R9 290X 4GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC. The bundle is pretty standard with not much being seen. In typical fashion, the company has let the actual product do the talking, and the highlight of this product is the cooler.
If you found yourself uncomfortable with the heat numbers that the reference R9 290X 4GB put out, then this is a fantastic option. Out of the box, you're going to see a bit of extra performance thanks to the slight overclock MSI has given. What you're paying for here, though, is the improved cooler. The Twin Frozr line of coolers hasn't disappointed us before, and today again we see that it doesn't.
PRICING: You can find the MSI R9 290X 4GB for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The MSI R9 290X 4GB retails for $771.65 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis