Moving away from the package and onto the card, you can see straight away the overall look isn't anything too different to what we've seen before. The Twin Frozr IV Advanced is a big cooler with two large fans sitting on top of a massive heat sink that goes from one end of the card to the other and hangs slightly over the top.
We've also got a bunch of heat pipes running throughout the card to pull that heat away from the GPU. Let's hope that it works well.
Moving away from the front towards the top of the card, we can see that we've got two power connectors in the form of a single 6-Pin PCIe and 8-Pin PCIe power connector. Here we can also see the massive heat sink that is installed and the heat pipe setup that is coming out the back of the card.
Moving closer to the front of the card, you can see like all R9 290 based cards we don't have a CrossFire connector as it's not needed. We do have a BIOS switch here that makes use of the Hybrid BIOS that we made mention of on the first page while covering the bundle.
Finishing up our look at the card, we head over to the I/O department where we can see two Dual-Link DVI-D ports along with a full size HDMI and DisplayPort connector to round things off. You can see we've also got some vents to help some of the hot air escape out the back of the case.
As we mentioned on the first page, the card we're dealing with is an OC model. Looking below, you can see out of the box the core has been pushed up to 1040MHz from 1000MHz. As for the 4GB of GDDR5, that's been left alone at 5000MHz QDR, which is fairly standard. Because the overclock isn't huge, we decided to fire up MSI Afterburner and do some overclocking ourselves to see just what we could get out of it.
Looking above, you can see that the core has been pushed to 1110MHz. This isn't a bad overclock, but it's not fantastic either. Overclocking on a whole just isn't the best when it comes to the R9 290X 4GB.
As for the memory, we couldn't do anything with that. The slight adjustments caused our system to become unstable when we tested. Hopefully we see MSI do something more with the model with a possible Lightning version down the track. For now, though, the R9 290X 4GB just isn't the best overclocker.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Intel sub-contractor had friend make hoax bomb call to avoid work
- First 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer hits the web
- BIOSTAR announces DirectX 12 ready GTX 950 for $199
- 'Toddyhancer' graphics mod for Star Wars: Battlefront looks amazing
- Just Cause 3 runs at 900p 30FPS on the Xbox One, so much more on PC
- Send Money Online To Italy Before You Trip To Produce Your Holiday More Relaxing
- ID-Cooling IS-VC45 SFF CPU Cooler Review
- New Build Problem
- Upgrade RAM on G11CD system assistance
- C2750D4I - BMC Update Failed
- BIOSTAR GEFORCE GAMING GTX 950 ANNOUNCED, STYLISH PERFORMANCE FOR COMPETITIVE GAMING
- SilverStone Raven Series RVX01BR/RVX01BR-W
- Transcend Adds New 64GB microSD Memory Cards to Its Industrial-Grade Wide Temperature Lineup
- COUGAR ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF THE 450 SERIES
- SilverStone Press release PTS01