Crucial M550 128GB SSD
We're breezing through some of the product images today since the M550 is a 'drive only' kit. It does includes a 7mm to 9.5mm adapter bracket.
Here we see the actual drive. Crucial has always swapped the label sides. The shiny sticker is on the bottom of the drive, and the information sticker is on what we associate with the top. Inside the case, the drive is also flipped around. This allows Crucial to put the controller facing the case side with more mass. This aids in cooling the controller and the DRAM next to the controller.
As mentioned, Crucial includes a bracket that gives the 7mm drive full 9.5mm height. This is used in some drive cages designed for 9.5mm z-height and some notebook drive cages. The 7mm standard is commonly found in Ultrabook designs where 9.5mm drives will not fit.
Inside, we found a Marvell controller, a single Micron DRAM package to cache table data, and sixteen NAND flash packages, eight on each side.
The Marvell 88SS9189 is a faster version of the 88SS9187 used in the M500.
Crucial used Micron 20nm flash.
Crucial also used Micron DRAM. In this image, you can also see a bank of capacitors used for host power fail protection. This allows the data passing through the controller to write to the flash in a power fail event.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [Crucial M550 128GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.