Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
The Sapphire R9 290X TRI-X 4GB OC is going to set you back roughly 10 percent more than a reference designed card. For that money, we would recommend spending the extra, especially when you're already spending in excess of $650. The extra money is getting you a card that is not only offering you more performance out of the box, but a much higher quality cooler.
The TRI-X fan really is fantastic and, while it's big, it's efficient. Not only does it manage to keep our card running cooler, but it also manages to do it at a lower noise level, all while the card itself is having more voltage ran through it giving us higher clock speeds. When it comes to non-reference cooling, the TRI-X fan on the Sapphire R9 290X 4GB offers everything you'd want and expect.
As for the actual performance of the card itself, it's strong. The overclock we managed to receive was much higher than we've managed to get out of other R9 290X 4GB cards, and you can see in some situations the overclock made a real difference, whether it be in the way of finally breaking that 60 FPS number we need or just a bit more breathing room to make us feel more comfortable.
While we did see some weird drops at times, which is something we're never happy about, the new 14.2 beta drivers could have something to do with that. We also see that while we do see a drop in performance in some benchmarks, the overall FPS continue to remain playable. We're taking the cup-half-full approach to this. Hopefully it's something that gets fixed in further driver releases.
As for the bundle, it's all very Sapphire. You've got all the typical inclusions along with the HDMI cable that we mentioned Sapphire often includes on most mid-range and up models. While it's not something that you might make use of right now, we must admit there's nothing wrong with have a spare HDMI cable around. Especially since a lot of devices don't offer an HDMI cable when you buy them.
All in all, the Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 4GB OC is a great variant of an already great card. If you're happy to pay extra, then this is what you're looking at. If you're not so interested in paying extra, we'd suggest that maybe you have a second think about it. As great as the reference R9 290X 4GB is, the cooler is its downfall with high noise levels and high load numbers. If you're already spending so much, trying to justify the extra associated with the Sapphire R9 290X TRI-X 4GB OC might not be too hard at all.
PRICING: You can find the Sapphire R9 290X TRI-X 4GB OC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Sapphire R9 290X TRI-X 4GB OC retails for $769.95 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Quantum Break's new PC patch fixes lots, weighs a huge 27GB
- No Man's Sky VR would be a 'really good fit', says creator
- Guillermo del Toro teases Silent Hills successor
- Leaked 1666: Amsterdam gameplay footage is darkly enchanting
- Doom's ultra nightmare mode is so hard id Software can't beat it
- Sabertooth Z170 S - Accessory fan
- C2750D4I BMC Self Test Status Failure
- WD 1TB Black drive memory dump while Win 7 installed.
- Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Six Windows Applications Free Pack
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched