Moving away from the bundle and onto the card, you can see the massive TRI-X cooler that Sapphire uses. Of course, the "TRI" in the name refers to the three fans that are used on the cooler. You can see it's simply massive and takes up the entire PCB and then some, as the cooler hangs over the end of the PCB.
You can see behind the massive heat sink setup that's going on, and, behind the middle fan, you can see a number of copper heat pipes that are designed to draw the heat away from the core. This is a great looking cooler and let's hope it does a good job of cooling our R9 290X 4GB core today.
Moving away from the front of the card and taking the time to take a quick look around it, you can see that power comes in the form of two power connectors: one is a 6-Pin PCIe and the other, an 8-Pin PCIe one. Here you can also see just how much the cooler overshoots the PCB while also getting another look at the copper heat pipe setup that's present.
Heading to the front of the card, you can see that we've, of course, got no CrossFire bridge present as it's not needed on the R9 290 and R9 290X models. The only noteworthy mention down here is the Dual BIOS switch that is present on all R9 290X cards.
Looking at the connector setup, you can see it's all a very standard affair. We've got two Dual-Link DVI-D connectors along with an HDMI and DisplayPort connector to round things off. You can also see that Sapphire has tried to vent the I/O plate as much as possible so the hot air can escape out the back of the case.
As the OC in the name suggests, the Sapphire R9 290X TRI-X 4GB OC is overclocked out of the box. Looking below, you can see that the core comes in at 1040MHz, which is just 40MHz higher than the default 1000MHz clock.
Because the core increase is quite small, it seems that Sapphire has chosen to increase the memory clock as well, something we see most companies ignore these days. Looking below, you can see the memory clock has been increased from 5000MHz QDR to 5200MHz QDR.
Both clocks aren't big in any sense of the word. Because of that, we've decided to fire up Sapphire TRI-X and see just what kind of performance we're able to get out of the Sapphire model today.
Looking above, you can see we got a fairly decent overclock with the core being pushed up to 1160MHz. As for the 4GB of GDDR5, that has been increased to a solid 6000MHz QDR. This is a nice overclock and should bring with it some nice performance gains.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance