As virtualization trickles down to small businesses, the same network infrastructures that make virtualization successful in the enterprise are needed on a smaller scale. The other key part to virtualization success is, of course, price.
Virtualization is really a stab at reducing total IT costs by moving several servers into a single box. This reduces both the component costs and the long-term costs from running the servers, with power weighing heavily on the scale.
When Intel released Romley with up to eight DRAM slots and eight cores per CPU, virtualization moved to a new level. Not only were lower bin Xeons cheap, but they also had the processing power to run several virtual machines. This eventually led to a new bottleneck forming.
While the virtual machine count increased, more machines were trying to communicate outside the node via the same gigabit Ethernet port that's been a standard for several years. Then, the systems soon required additional storage. This led to further constraints on the network as external NAS and SAN products supplied the additional storage density.
We're now at a tipping point for small businesses. 10GbE is now in a familiar form, RJ45, and the price is within budget for even small remote offices. The Netgear XS708E is the product that brought 10GbE to this point.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Meizu unveils Pro 7: Dual camera, secondary display
- Visceral's Star Wars game on schedule for 2018 release
- The first official pictures of Radeon RX Vega leaked
- AMD Vega 20 with 32GB of HBM2 teased with Vega 10/11/12
- Coolest thing you'll see today: 360° video from a rocket
- FSP Windale 6 CPU Cooler Review
- Fnatic Gear RUSH G1 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Asrock A88M-G/3.1 + A10-7860K = freezes in the idle state
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 3G: Mid-Range On The Cheap
- AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review
- Toshiba introduces TR200 SATA retail SSD series with 64-layer 3D flash memory
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers