be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
With the Dark Rock 3 now out of the box, we can take a tour around it and see what this design has to offer. From the front, there is not much else to see at the moment other than the 135mm SilentWings fan attached to it with its 4-pin plug at the bottom of this image.
Removing the fan exposed the leading edge design of the stack of fifty fins. We can see that the sides are higher than the fins in the center, and each fin has a saw toothed design on the edge.
The top of the cooler offers a stepped, black brushed aluminum cap that covers the top fin as well as offering black caps for all of the heat pipe tips. This, along with the name applied to the center, gives this cooler a sleek and stylish view as you would see it in a chassis.
Looking at the Dark Rock 3 from the right side, we see this design uses an open fin design with small tabs bent to keep the fin spacing correct. We also see that the fan is attached with wire fan clips that mount to grooves in the sides of these fins.
The back of the cooler is a fair bit unusual in its design. Offsetting the fins in groups of three does not do all that much for the airflow coming from the front fan, but, if adding a second fan, this allows room for that fan to get to full pressure and airflow.
The left side of the Dark Rock 3 is the same as what we saw on the right, as we expected it to be.
In this image, we can see the dimples applied to the fins to help disturb the air flow as it passes through the cooler's fins, but we can also see that there are six heat pipes that are packed tightly together at the base and spreading out evenly and in two lines as they run through all of the fins.
It isn't all that often that we see single tower cooler designs with such a large pre-cooler. In this example, be quiet! has incorporated this fifty tab pre-cooler to help rid this cooler of a fair bit of heat before it is taken up into the fins for removal.
As for the base, just like with the rest of the cooler body, after it has been milled to accept the hardware, and the base is milled to this near mirror finish, it all received dark nickel plating. The base is very level across most of the mating surface, but the corners are slightly rounded.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ashley Madison CEO stepping down after devastating data breach
- Final Fantasy 15 almost had VR support
- VR will slowly trickle to mainstream market, says Oculus founder
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20