The dimensions of the StarTech 2636 adhere to the EIA-RS310-C specification. This standard defines rack units, vertical hole spacing, horizontal hole spacing, rack openings, and front panel width. This specification has defined 19-inch racks for 50 years, but does not cover all of the relevant features that should be considered before purchasing a rack.
One interesting caveat is that there is not an actual 19-inch measurement anywhere on the chart. The 19-inch measurement actually refers to the length of the front panel on the equipment installed into the rack. The actual hole spacing is 18-5/16 inches.
The unit arrives pre-assembled on a crate, with straps securing it and adequate cushioning for the castors and hardware. The front Plexiglas door is covered with an adherent paper covering to protect from scratching during transit. The unit is quite heavy, but the wheels roll freely, which allows easy movement once the unit is off the crate.
The unit is smooth with a black matte finish on the solid steel exterior. Extruded aluminum fittings cover the rounded corners and edges, providing an attractive appearance to the unit.
We can see the three fans that exhaust air from the top of the cabinet, and the nice 35.4-inch length of the unit provides plenty of room for most deployments. One common area of differentiation for server racks is the length. The EIA-310 specification does not allow the box to be wider or taller, but it allows longer lengths.
Many racks are now available from 42-44 inches deep, but some unique features of the StarTech 2636 make it suitable for longer server racks. Researching the rack for the best compatibility with your equipment is vital; a very common problem is the inability to close rear doors on some cabinets when used with extra-long server cases.
The rear of the unit is divided, with a smaller area on the bottom for an air filter. The upper portion has a removable and reversible solid steel door that can be oriented to open either left or right. The levelers on the bottom rear corners are extendable to bring the casters underneath off the floor, thus providing a very solid footing. Plastic spacers on the bottom of the levelers protect the floor surface.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung confirms faulty batteries caused Note7 fiasco
- Hugo Barra is leaving Xiaomi next month
- 'Terminator' to wrap with creator James Cameron's return
- PC gaming hardware market hits $30 billion
- Nintendo Switch battery life analysis
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni