The dimensions of the StarTech 2636 adhere to the EIA-RS310-C specification. This standard defines rack units, vertical hole spacing, horizontal hole spacing, rack openings, and front panel width. This specification has defined 19-inch racks for 50 years, but does not cover all of the relevant features that should be considered before purchasing a rack.
One interesting caveat is that there is not an actual 19-inch measurement anywhere on the chart. The 19-inch measurement actually refers to the length of the front panel on the equipment installed into the rack. The actual hole spacing is 18-5/16 inches.
The unit arrives pre-assembled on a crate, with straps securing it and adequate cushioning for the castors and hardware. The front Plexiglas door is covered with an adherent paper covering to protect from scratching during transit. The unit is quite heavy, but the wheels roll freely, which allows easy movement once the unit is off the crate.
The unit is smooth with a black matte finish on the solid steel exterior. Extruded aluminum fittings cover the rounded corners and edges, providing an attractive appearance to the unit.
We can see the three fans that exhaust air from the top of the cabinet, and the nice 35.4-inch length of the unit provides plenty of room for most deployments. One common area of differentiation for server racks is the length. The EIA-310 specification does not allow the box to be wider or taller, but it allows longer lengths.
Many racks are now available from 42-44 inches deep, but some unique features of the StarTech 2636 make it suitable for longer server racks. Researching the rack for the best compatibility with your equipment is vital; a very common problem is the inability to close rear doors on some cabinets when used with extra-long server cases.
The rear of the unit is divided, with a smaller area on the bottom for an air filter. The upper portion has a removable and reversible solid steel door that can be oriented to open either left or right. The levelers on the bottom rear corners are extendable to bring the casters underneath off the floor, thus providing a very solid footing. Plastic spacers on the bottom of the levelers protect the floor surface.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm aims to make smartwatches much better with new chip
- Microsoft to reveal new Windows 10 and Xbox One plans this month
- Rainbow Six Siege update 2.1 now on PC, adds custom dedicated servers
- Only digital pre-orders unlock access to the Hitman beta
- Watch Dogs 2 confirmed for 2017, releasing with the new South Park
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance