MSI PT880 Testing Motherboard
Unfortunately due to VIA's lack of test samples for media these days, we weren't able to obtain a PT880 reference motherboard. Instead we are using the MSI PT880 as our reference PT880 sample. This is also recommended from VIA so it seems they endorse the results the MSI product produces. While this isn't a review of the motherboard itself, we will show the features that most of the VIA PT880 motherboards should support.
Here we see the packaging MSI ships the motherboards in. This box is identical in design to the Intel 865PE Neo we have tested before but with the PT880 Neo logo printed on it, of course.
Within you get a hefty bundle including Serial ATA cables, IDE cables and your user manuals.
Here we see the layout of the motherboard itself. MSI bases it on a similar design to the reference PT880 which could be a reason why VIA recommend them highly for media testing. MSI however uses a red PCB and colour codes its peripheral connectors including the Channel A and Channel B DDR DIMM sockets.
Now we get to see the heart and soul. The PT880 chipset is housed under a passive Northbridge heatsink. VIA has used a mirror finish core that transfers heat from the chipset die to the heatsink much more efficiently, requiring only passive cooling rather than active for the most part.
The Southbridge uses the same mirror finish as the Northbridge, though no cooling aids are added to the Southbridge, simply because it isn't needed. The Southbridge uses the VIA V-Link system at 533MB/s to allow full speed for the PCI bus along with the Serial ATA ports and other devices.
VIA hasn't followed Intel's lead with a dedicated bus for a Gigabit Ethernet controller but rather use the PCI bus, simply because Gigabit isn't as common in the home as it is in high level servers and office environments. For this MSI has used the Realtek RTL8110S-32 Gigabit Ethernet controller chip tied directly into the PCI bus. This means if you use Gigabit Ethernet, the PCI bus will be totally overwhelmed with Ethernet Data.
Since Firewire isn't an included feature of the North or Southbridge's, the VIA VT6307 two port Firewire chip is included for Firewire compatibility.
Now we've finished taking a look at the chipset and testing motherboard, let's move onto the benchmarks and see what we have on our hands as far as performance goes!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA PT880 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA PT880 - Page 2 [PT880 in Detail]
- VIA PT880 - Page 3 [MSI PT880 Testing Motherboard]
- VIA PT880 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- VIA PT880 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- VIA PT880 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- VIA PT880 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- VIA PT880 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- VIA PT880 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- VIA PT880 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- VIA PT880 - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gears of War 4 has unlocked frame rate on PC
- Kojima Productions' opening title sequence is weird, but awesome
- When 'Supergirl' flies to Blu-ray, you can win Season One on us!
- Lost 'Star Trek: Original Series' 35mm footage located, Blu-ray coming
- Xbox One 500GB price cut to $249 ahead of Xbox One S launch
- AMD Positioning Itself to Become a Commanding Force in Rendering
- GA-EX58-UD5 New Bios Ver. F14
- SanDisk iXpand Memory Case and Battery for iPhone Review
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 + GTX 550 Ti
- Ghostbusters (2016) Cinema Movie Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio