Seagate 1200 Internals
The Seagate 1200 has a very sturdy polished metal case with a bit of heft. The drive is on firmware version 0002.
We note the service port, and a small hole that features a recessed monitoring LED. This monitoring LED flashes in distinct patterns that denote the status of the SSD during operation. Once we remove the top, the thermal pads come into view. The thick pad in the center mates with the PCB under the controller, and effectively sandwiches the controller and assists in wicking away heat. The remainder of the pads cover the NAND and other critical components.
Removal of the other side of the case reveals that the case consists of three parts. Each side of the case holds four screws, and an additional six screws hold the PCB into the center frame. This is a very robust design that is reminiscent of militarized/rugged designs.
The SAS port consists of a long piece of plastic with two fasteners on each end to anchor it to the center frame. In high-vibration environments, the SAS port can become a common source of failures; this sturdy design will likely lead to fewer failures.
The Samsung 21nm MLC NAND is surprisingly resilient with a standard amount of overprovisioning.
The SSD utilizes a custom Marvell controller and 512MB of Micron DDR3-1600 RAM for caching. The banks of power capacitors provide enough capacitance to flush data to the NAND in the event of host power loss. There are open pads for more NAND packages on both sides of the PCB. These additional packages will allow the drive to reach its maximum capacity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- Microsoft announces that Forza Motorsport 6 has gone gold
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20