Func has done something I did not think was really possible: They have made me appreciate a keyboard with Cherry MX red switches. While it did take a bit of time not to pound these caps halfway through the keyboard when I'm used to pushing Cherry MX green switches all of the time, after a bit of use, there was hardly any clock of the key caps hitting the steel plate. For absolute silence with any form of pressure, I would still advise an o-ring kit, but there is something to be said for not hearing every activation click of the keys, or them slamming against the plate. Cylindrical shaped, double shot, key caps are very comfortable to use, and the legends should last dang near forever. Then, we get the red LED backlighting options; and even without the use of the LEDs, the steel plate being painted red is easily visible. It is also something I can't figure out why others are not doing all of the time, especially since it is a very cost efficient, aesthetic bonus.
Other things to consider are the wrist rest, and how easy it will come on and off the keyboard when needed. But, with those tiny clips, the rest is still firmly attached to the board and won't come free unless specifically trying to remove them. Then, we get to thank the software for making this a truly gaming oriented design. It allows you to take advantage of the five profiles, the Func Mode button that locks the Windows key, as well as making the profiles live; and you have the chance to add fifty other commands to your left hand. With the right mouse combination alongside the Func KB-460, one could easily have near 100 Macros, all within the reach of your hands. There really isn't a solid complaint I could come up with, even if I were to complain of the flux residue; as of yet, it has done nothing negative to affect the performance of the KB-460. Everything including the software just works easily and simply; as expected in a keyboard.
The one thing hurting the Func KB-460 is the availability. No matter how much I liked the KB-460, or how much I may have made you want it, the simple fact is: I cannot find one for sale at all inside of the U.S. So, even if we were told that the KB-460 will eventually retail at $99.99 U.S. dollars (and for the price it's a really great deal), there is no stock out there, and it is a real shame. Other than that, I see no issues with this Func Keyboard. I know it is something that quite a few gamers will want to add to their arsenal.
And, for those purists out there who just type exclusively, the plug-and-play ability of the KB-460 offers full NKRO without all of the fancy stuff, while still allowing the lighting to function. This makes this keyboard good for both ends of the spectrum, and for either application, it is a very good solution amongst many more expensive solutions. I can see this Func KB-460 sticking around in the lab for a while in some fashion; it is just too nice to let out of the office.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Func KB-460 Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard]
- Page 5 [Func KB-460 Continued]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [Inside the Func KB-460]
- Page 8 [Software]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Watch Metallica's themed gameplay trailer that failed
- Dead Rising 4 has 18 holes of mini golf to play through
- Star Wars Battlefront DLC pack announced for November 18
- Xbox boss says Nintendo has 'bold vision' with Switch
- Download Bungie's 2.4.1 patch update for Destiny now
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ASRock problem SB fan1
- GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - F20b BIOS BUG?
- Unable To Update AMD GPU Driver
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system