Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at $539.99 at the time of writing, the Sapphire R9 290 4GB (or just R9 290 4GB in general) isn't a cheap card. By itself though, the card has managed to do an excellent job of proving itself as something that is worth the money. The question is: Should you go into the four digit category when looking for a new video card setup? The R9 290 4GB setup is not a cheap one; it costs nearly $1,080 for two cards.
CrossFire, like SLI, also continues to be a technology that isn't perfect in any sense of the word. Saying that though, we do see it perform extremely well in many areas, and with some extremely intensive games currently on the market, you can see that a setup like this is needed to get truly playable FPS. This is even truer when AA and AF come into the picture.
You can see under Metro: Last Light, the setup still wasn't enough to give us playable FPS at 2560 x 1600 with AA and AF turned on. At the same resolution under Sleeping Dogs, you can see we only just managed to scrape past that 60 FPS range, with a 61 FPS average.
Unlike lower-end CrossFire and SLI setups, you can't really compare this setup to any particular single GPU one, as we really don't have any $1,000 single GPU options. Of course, while the GTX TITAN 6GB is still technically an option, the release of the GTX 780 Ti 3GB at a cheaper price point and higher performance level, means the model is all but dead.
Considering the move to a pair of R9 290X 4GB cards is going to set you back further by $200, this isn't a bad option for people who are wanting to spend around that $1,000 mark when it comes to a video card setup. I think one of the most important aspects of a setup like this though, is that you've got a monitor that is able to make use of it. Spending $1,000 on a video card setup to power your $200 monitor is just completely insane.
Moving away from the CrossFire specifics, and thinking more about the Sapphire card we've got on hand today, there's not too much to say. Of course, from the looks and performance of the card, it's going to be the same as the reference card. The bundle is typical Sapphire, which means it's fairly similar to most other companies, with the addition of a HDMI cable being included.
If you're looking to spend around the $500 - $550 mark, then the R9 290 4GB continues to be a good option thanks to its excellent performance at the price point. As for the Sapphire one we're looking at today: there's nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to the card. That's not a bad thing though, if you're looking for a reference R9 290 4GB at a reference price, then this is a good option. If you've bought Sapphire in the past as well, you'll probably feel more comfortable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Modified Tesla Model S goes from 0-100 in 2.1 seconds
- Airbus wants to start testing flying cars this year
- Pokemon GO generated an insane $950 million in 2016
- Nintendo Switch will have 'steady pacing of content'
- Faraday Future stops factory construction to afford CES
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99