As we mentioned in the introduction, the Sapphire R9 290 4GB we're looking at today follows the reference design, and that of course means that we've got a card that looks nearly identical to the reference one we already looked at. Of course, Sapphire adds their own bit of flair to the card by showing us the model and brand. Apart from that though, there's not much to see, as the shroud covers the PCB almost in its entirety.
Quickly moving around the card, you can see that power comes in the form of a single 6-Pin PCIe Connector, and 8-Pin PCIe Connector. Staying at the top of the card, but closer to the front, you can see we've got a switch that gives us the ability to move between two BIOS. Unlike the R9 290X 4GB, this doesn't really do anything here. Companies may choose to make use of it later though, by offering two different overclocked modes. Of course, the big thing is that just like the R9 290X 4GB, we don't have any CrossFire connectors here.
Finishing off our look at the card, you can see connectivity comes in the form of two Dual-Link DVI-D connectors, along with a single HDMI and DisplayPort connector to round things off. You can see we've also got some vents to help push the hot air straight out of the back of the case.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the GPU-Z screenshot. As we've mentioned a few times though, the card is reference in every way, including the clocks. That means the core comes in at 947MHz. As for the 4GB of GDDR5, that carries with it a clock of 5000MHz QDR.
Normally, the main thing we want to check here is whether or not CrossFire is working, by using the screenshot to verify it. We'll be doing that the ol' fashion way today though, by just benchmarking the setup. So, let's take a quick look at our testbed setup, cover the cards that will be in our graphs today, and get into the fun stuff.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD performance issues in Darksiders Warmastered fixed
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- Final Fantasy XV ships five million units in first day
- SSD costs expected to rise by 6-10% in early 2017
- Playdead drops Inside game demo free via Steam site
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair