Let me begin by saying that I have seen several enclosure designs claiming to be tool-free. You'll note I used the term claiming. There is always some place in the transfer of the system where tools are required. That is until I moved my test system into this SilverStone unit.
At no time during the installation were tools needed to complete a task. All fans were installed into a housing assembly and then inserted into the case design. All AGP/PCI cards were inserted easily and then clamped into place with the slider retention system. Add to this the removable motherboard tray and the side panels that are secured by a lever and you can see why I am thrilled with this tool-free design.
Now, tools will be needed if you exceed two optical devices, two hard drives and a floppy drive, but this falls squarely into the realm of what a majority of users have in their own systems.
Now I hadn't mentioned a couple of areas of the installation because I wanted to show you how it works firsthand. We'll begin by looking at the installation of the motherboard.
When you install the mainboard, all you have to do is to lay the board out above these pins. They have just a little give in them allowing them to compress slightly and then expand as they pass the central portion of the hole of your mainboard. Just push down with moderate pressure and you will feel that section of board secure itself onto the pin.
Oh, and in the event you want to remove the board, there is a removal tool attached to the back of the motherboard tray that slips under the mainboard allowing you to gently pry it upward without damage to the board itself. Nice and simple.
The other area not mentioned above is the drive installation process. As I mentioned earlier, this enclosure uses a rail system. There are no tools required to mount the rails to the device, just the lining up of a couple of pins into holes and a little pressure to seat them in place. Once that is finished, just slide the drive into the appropriate bay and let it snap into place. You'll even see above where the two drives are lined up perfectly with each other making for a smooth, clean look after reinstalling the front bezel. Here is a quick shot of the hard drive rail system:
This is the first time I have EVER been able to transfer a complete system without using tools. This is an exceptional example of how to go about creating a true tool-free enclosure. A full compliment of rails for all available drive bays would have been a nice addition, but overall this is a very good package.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Call of Duty rumored to see a third-person Modern Warfare release
- Nokia unveils its new OZO virtual reality camera, priced at $60,000
- Apple expected to launch even thinner MacBook Air models next year
- New 'Batman V Superman' teaser revels in animosity
- USB-C connector updated with Intel's Thunderbolt 3 transfer protocol
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- [ASROCK A75 PRO4] What should my next step be?
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- Synthesio Announces Janet Megdadi As Chief Revenue Officer
- Polk BOOM Adds to Ready 4 Anything Speaker Family with New Swimmer Duo and Swimmer Jr.
- Viper SmartStart 4.0 Now Lets You Control Your Car from Your Wrist
- Gemalto Payment HSM Supports Cloud Tokenization Requirements for Secure Mobile Payment Transactions and Digitization of Credit Card Credentials
- ALL-METAL LG ZERO BRINGS TOGETHER LUXURIOUS DESIGN WITH BEST CAMERA TECHNOLOGY