The first Intel NUC I reviewed was an extremely awesome device. It had some great power, and it was tiny. But, there were a few things I didn't like about it, and that's where the new NUC comes into play.
Intel sent me the NUC Kit D54250WYK unit, which is a very powerful little machine. We'll start off with the specs of the NUC itself, and what we've installed into it for our testing.
First, we'll take a look around the NUC itself. We've started with the back of the NUC, where most of the connectivity is located. From left to right, we have power, mini DisplayPort, micro HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet and two USB 3.0 ports.
On the front, we have two USB 3.0 ports and the 3.5mm audio jack.
On the side, we have a Kensington lock, if you wanted to keep it secure.
We have Intel's Core i5-4250U, which is mixed with Intel HD Graphics 5000. This is not too bad at all, considering the total power consumption of the NUC - hint, it's not much at all. Inside the NUC, we have two SO-DIMM slots for a total of 16GB of DDR3 RAM, a full-length PCIe mini slot, and one half-length PCIe mini slot.
These two slots can be used for a Wi-Fi module, and mSATA SSD. I didn't end up using the Wi-Fi module, because it has Gigabit Ethernet, which I prefer, always. The mSATA drive we used was Intel SSD 520 Series, the same 180GB, SATA 6Gbps drive we used in our original NUC review.
The RAM was provided by G.SKILL, who were kind enough to provide their high-end 16GB kit of RipJaws, 1600MHz, 1.35V DDR3 RAM. It looks great, and works in the NUC like a charm.
Filling out the rest of the specs on the NUC, we have 4 x USB 3.0 ports, a mini DisplayPort port, Gigabit Ethernet, and a microHDMI port. Connectivity is something that is not an issue on this model, which is one of the main areas of improvement over the previous generation NUC kits.
Taking a look inside the NUC, you can see all of its glorious innards, above.
There's even some VESA mounting holes on the NUC, which is a great way of using the NUC in the enterprise/work environment. You could just screw the entire computer onto the back of the monitor, keeping just the monitor, mouse and keyboard on the desk. Impressive stuff!
Moving onto price, with the Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK selling for $399.99 on Amazon. This is not too bad at all considering what you get for that price, and the size of the unit itself. With the RAM and SSD, you're bumping it up to the $600-$700 price point, which is still not too expensive at all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [General Use, Connectivity and Performance]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives