Back in March of 2011, Western Digital announced that it would acquire Hitachi GST for a sum of $4.3 billion. To maintain the same level of competition in the market, the FTC asked WD to sell the IP and means to produce 3.5" hard drives to Toshiba. Prior to this, Toshiba only produced (and were quite happy with) 2.5" HDDs.
From the point of this acquisition, Toshiba went to work designing their very first consumer 3.5" HDD: the DT01ACA lineup. Today, we have the chance to look at the 100 model for 1TB capacity. The DT01ACA Desktop HDDs feature high-density, terabyte-per-platter designs that offer a 7200-RPM spindle speed, next to a healthy 32MB of DRAM cache.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Looking over the specifications, we found the entire lineup of DT01ACA drives. For this review, we will focus on the last column, the 1TB model. Herein, we have a 1TB 3.5" HDD, featuring the SATA 3.0 standard. This drive features Advanced Format Technology, with single-track, read and write access times of 0.6ms and 0.8ms, respectively.
Rotational speed is listed at 7200RPM with 32MB of cache; with load/unload cycles listed at 300,000. Power consumption figures lineup with random read, write at 6.4 watts, and idle at 3.7 watts.
At the time of review, the Toshiba DT01ACA100 is priced at $54.99, with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Toshiba DT01ACA 1TB HDD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4K Random Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis