Back in March of 2011, Western Digital announced that it would acquire Hitachi GST for a sum of $4.3 billion. To maintain the same level of competition in the market, the FTC asked WD to sell the IP and means to produce 3.5" hard drives to Toshiba. Prior to this, Toshiba only produced (and were quite happy with) 2.5" HDDs.
From the point of this acquisition, Toshiba went to work designing their very first consumer 3.5" HDD: the DT01ACA lineup. Today, we have the chance to look at the 100 model for 1TB capacity. The DT01ACA Desktop HDDs feature high-density, terabyte-per-platter designs that offer a 7200-RPM spindle speed, next to a healthy 32MB of DRAM cache.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Looking over the specifications, we found the entire lineup of DT01ACA drives. For this review, we will focus on the last column, the 1TB model. Herein, we have a 1TB 3.5" HDD, featuring the SATA 3.0 standard. This drive features Advanced Format Technology, with single-track, read and write access times of 0.6ms and 0.8ms, respectively.
Rotational speed is listed at 7200RPM with 32MB of cache; with load/unload cycles listed at 300,000. Power consumption figures lineup with random read, write at 6.4 watts, and idle at 3.7 watts.
At the time of review, the Toshiba DT01ACA100 is priced at $54.99, with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Toshiba DT01ACA 1TB HDD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4K Random Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple's iPod changed the world of music 15 years ago
- ARK: Survival Evolved update: new dinos, maps, and more
- AT&T buys HBO, Warner Bros., and CNN for $80 billion
- Shadow Warrior 2 patched, includes several optimizations
- PS4 Pro 'turns off half the GPU' to run normal PS4 games
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook