We sent the system over to Chris to run some tests with his custom multi-client NAS test software. Since the X10SLV has four SATA ports (2x SATA3 and 2x SATA2), and a PCIe slot for an add-on card, Chris chose to use all four SATA ports for HDDs, and use the PCIe slot for 10GbE, from an Intel X520-SR2 NIC.
Given the X10SLV's size and capabilities, the board fits well in a number of Supermicro 1U server cases; some with four or more HDD bays. End users building a high-performance NAS can choose from any number of free software options. This includes options such as FreeNAS, or Open Indiana.
The X10SLV is a versatile platform, and works well with Windows Server. In this test, we used Windows Server 2012 R2, and ran the operating system on the same array as the test.
Using the 10GbE on the X10SLV was the right choice. The additional bandwidth allowed the high performance processor to stretch its legs, and deliver performance four to five times faster than the dedicated NAS devices on the chart. At 1GbE on the Supermicro X10SLV, we achieved just over 800 Mbps, which is around 200 Mbps more than the LaCie 5big NAS Pro.
10GbE also reduces latency to the NAS. Here, we see the Supermicro X10SLV staying under 1ms latency, even with 120 clients reading and writing data to the unit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Specifications]
- Page 3 [Motherboard Layout]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [Total System Power Use]
- Page 10 [NAS Tests]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Farming Simulator 2017 gameplay trailer released
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has gone gold, is ready for August 24 release
- EA is centralizing its Battlefield games under a single UI
- AMD details their new Radeon RX 470 and RX 460 graphics cards
- Watch 26 minutes of leaked No Man's Sky footage
- Z170 Deluxe Help Setup with RAID10 + SSD for OS
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Linksys EA9500 MAX-STREAM AC5400 Wireless Router Review
- GA-X58A-UD7 Error Code 88 (or 8b something)
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio