Specifications, Availability and Pricing
When at the SteelSeries site, there is a specifications section, but nothing for a chart as far as what is typically provided. With a controller, specifications are less of a concern, just as long as the device works and functions well, and with the FREE, this is what you are getting. The body of the FREE is two parts of a shell that are both rubberized to assure the best grip, even when hands are a bit sweaty. On top are much smaller buttons and joysticks that most gamers are used to, but still things are large enough to be fully functional. As for actual dimensions of this controller, it is only 108mm side to side, 55mm from front to back, 20mm from bottom to the tips of the joysticks, and weighs in at 54 grams.
The controller works with specific games listed on their site for Droid, iOS, and Windows games, although you have to fiddle with the game options to activate the controller's inputs. For mobile devices, as well as Flash based games, the games may not all suit your tastes, but the ones you will like are much more fun to play with a controller than using buttons on the keyboard. This also works in conjunction of the SteelSeries Engine to allow buttons on the controller to be remapped for a bit of customizability. As for standalone titles, games like Trine, Grid, CoD Black Ops, Burnout, and many others are also supported. With some fiddling, and the game offering gamepad control option in the menu, you can get the FREE to function for those as well.
Looking at branded controllers that are typically used with the PC, you would be required to spend along the lines of $35 to $50 dollars to obtain a wireless PS3 or XBOX controller to use. The thing is, with these, they don't cross platforms to mobile devices like phones and tablets, and the FREE does this flawlessly. Shopping for the FREE leaves limited choices currently, as this device is still brand new, but there is a listing via Amazon.
Here they are asking $43.87 plus shipping unless you are a Prime member. While it does seem to be a bit on the high side for wireless controllers, the FREE still has two other groups of devices to play with, while others are stuck to their base systems or PC only. That alone is worth a pretty hefty chunk of that price, and in our time using the FREE, we feel it is well worth the investment, and personally makes mobile gaming so much easier.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' trailer actually looks kinda fun
- Sony developing smart contact lenses with life recording
- Hitman patch lets DirectX 12 users play again
- Apple Music rumored to receive interface overhaul this summer
- Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC might have underwater exploration
- GA-EX58-UD3R won't post
- Creative iRoar Intelligent Bluetooth Speaker Review
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience