When the first news blast of this device was brought forth, it instantly grabbed our attention. After a few emails back and forth, and having to wait a bit for it to actually release, we were finally given a sample of this new controller from SteelSeries. Now this is not the average controller by any means. While there are many wireless solutions for PC gaming already on the market, I know of none of those devices that will also work on phones and tablets. This was very intriguing, and was something we thought the readers would appreciate an in depth review of.
The main idea of course is to offer a comfortable and playable controller. SteelSeries does this, offering a controller with a D-pad, dual joysticks, four buttons on the front, two paddles on the top, and there are a pair in the middle that act as start and reset, but also have other functions too. The design is sleek and smooth, covered mostly in a rubberized coating mixed with light grey trim and a darker gray plastic surrounding and highlighting the controls. The other factor that played into this design was portability. Since it can be used with mobile devices, it only seems right that this controller should be able to go in a pocket just as easily as the phone, or at least not take up much space while traveling with a tablet or PC.
We went through some trials and tribulations to make it to this point, but I would like to thank the support team over at SteelSeries for helping me through what was found out to be some sort of USB stacking issue. Word to the wise. When testing as many products via USB as I do, you may well have to rewrite an OS eventually to make a product work, even when drivers were pulled out properly.
After realizing this issue, and then moving to a second PC to test on, the enjoyment level of the time with this device had doubled, as I was playing only on the phone with this for about a week due to this small issue. Now that everything is in order, and the FREE has been thoroughly tested, we can now bring you the full story.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Devil can hit 1.4GHz with triple-fan cooler
- NVIDIA rumored to launch GeForce GTX 1060 next week, will fight RX 480
- AMD's next-gen 'Naples' processor spotted, features 64 CPU threads
- AMD acquires HiAlgo which works on dynamic resoution scaling, and more
- These seven new Pokemon are quite...interesting
- Insight Needed for RAM upgrade issue.
- Doom Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Cant overclock RAM
- How will windows 10 affect my D, E and F drives?
- Updated BIOS on E3C226D2I now can't boot from USB
- MSI starring new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 graphics card
- AMD launches the Radeon Rebellion with the Radeon RX 480 video card, available now
- SAPPHIRE launches next generation Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card
- Be Quiet! announces the Dark Base 900 case
- Western Digital launches world's fastest 256GB microSD Card