With the SteelSeries 3 Engine installed and the Rival plugged in, the device shows up like we see here. To access the controls for the Rival, double-click anywhere inside of the banner displaying its name, and you will be given a new window.
Clicking on the little orange gear inside of the Rival's banner will allow you to change the language of the software and also offers a check-box to have SSE3 start up with login.
What I found when trying to access the controls was that before I was allowed access, I had a critical firmware update to apply before we can continue. Here there were some small issues with the updater. While at first seemingly bricking the mouse, after a few restarts and various USB ports, the update was successful, and able to be used again.
If when updating that Firmware, you see this screen and the updating bar does not start to quickly populate with green progression, and your Rival is rapidly flashing blue, this is where I was stuck for a bit. Try another USB port and see if it takes. While advised not to move or unplug the device, it was the only way we made any progress.
Once past the stressful shenanigans, we were able to access the controls. The widow that opens offers a top view of the Rival with the buttons all denoted. To its left there are boxes that will allow you to swap functionality between them, but nothing along the lines of Macros or optional Windows controls. On the right, you have CPI 1 and 2. These can be set with the silver knob and your mouse, or you can highlight the CPI level and enter an amount between 50 and 9999, in single digit increments. The bottom then offers four selectable polling rates from 250 to 1000Hz.
SteelSeries also offers the option to look at the Rival from the left side. I assume this is to be certain of programming the correct side buttons, but it is pretty straight forward from the top view. There is also a live preview switch at the bottom that allows you to see and feel changes as they are made, or you can turn it off and not see changes until it is saved and back in use at desktop level.
There are two boxes that say LOGO next to them. While the vast majority of that box is the current color selected, clicking the black triangle brings up this color window. Here you can search with the mouse in the main color band, and the box to the left allows for variations of the color chosen. There is also full RGB input options, and there are three modes of lighting effects hidden in the dropdown box for effects.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARK cross-platform play on PS4 and PC BLOCKED by Sony
- Microsoft builds its own AI hardware: Project Brainwave
- HP Omen X gaming notebook: GTX 1080, 120Hz LCD, more
- Final Fantasy XV doesn't need 170GB HDD space on PC
- Bungie couldn't get Destiny 2 to hit 60FPS on consoles
- Killer Networking - Killer control center new version (Z97X Gaming 5)
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7 TR4 Motherboard Review
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Intel details 8th Generation Core CPUs with Kaby Lake-R
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience